Skype microphone - low to no volume

Options
Infidel
Infidel Posts: 1,226 Forumite
edited 19 April 2017 at 2:42PM in Techie Stuff
Hi.

After being forced to update to the latest version of Skype some time ago my microphone - both built-in and my plug in headset basically stopped functioning properly.

People at the other end couldn't hear me - and I basically had to shout right into the laptop front panel to be heard at all. I also used the Skype calling and test - and yes I could hardly hear my own recorded voice even when I shouted.

The mic works fine on other programs. I also changed all the mic settings - input up to max and mic boost etc. but this still didn't work.

The internet tells me it's some kind of Realtek/Skype issue. Has anyone else had this problem and been able to resolve it?

Furthermore has anyone been able to roll back to an older version of Skype and use that? I did try downloading a couple of versions before 7 - but they both didn't allow me to even log in - saying 'Skype can't connect' - to which the help page said I need to download the 'latest version' (the one that doesn't work).

I'm running the awful Windows 10 - But would be prepared to downgrade this if that's what is necessary.

Thanks.
Instigated terrorism the road to dictatorship.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you increased the volume in the sound system control panel?
    Not in skype itself.

I have found updating drivers can affect the max volume on some devices.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Infidel
    Options
    Have you increased the volume in the sound system control panel?
    Not in skype itself.

I have found updating drivers can affect the max volume on some devices.

Yes. I've gone through all the volume/sound settings.

As I don't have any problems with my mic input on any other programs - it's almost certainly a 'Skype latest version problem'.
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    Options
    I would start by looking for new audio drivers and this is the easy free way
    http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All our Skype mics at work need to be connected via a little preamp to bring them within the audio range of a PC.
  • david39
    david39 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    I had this problem some years ago with earlier versions of Windows and Skype.
    Never found the answer to it. Just started using a tablet instead but not the real answer.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    In my version of Skype (7.33.0.105) I have to have the microphone (in Audio Settings) set to 100% with Automatically Adjust option UNticked. If I don't I also get the same problem of quiet audio pickup.

In properties for the microphone I also have Levels set to 100% and Mic Boost set to +30dB. (Your mic may not offer the latter option).
  • danthemoneysavingman
    Options
    I have 2 practically identical computers at home (Dell AIO 2350), one has this problem and the other one does not. Driving me mad trying to work out how that's possible. Would be very interested to hear if there is a resolution anyone can find.
    I will try cross-comparing all the drivers and see if it is at least related to that and report back (should I remember to do this :-) )

Anyone in the meantime susses it out pls post findings!
    Let me Google that for you...
  • Infidel
    Options
    I am not alone.

I also have mic boost option - but it makes no difference :-o

As for rolling back Skype. Why do they not allow this? One search of the internet and you can see that loads of people seem to have problems with updates for all manner of different programs.

Perhaps a 'Skype alternative' might be the only way to sort this out? I rarely do Skype to Skype so any other program where I can make low-cost land-line and mobile calls (in other countries) would probably suffice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure