IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

VCS + BW Legal

Options
jlwood92
jlwood92 Posts: 6 Forumite
edited 4 October 2016 at 4:33PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi Everyone,

This is my very first post.

I have a very confusing situation, a neighbor on my street has received a letter in my name stating that I received a PCN on 5th June 2016 and it has my car reg number and street in my local area.

The letter is from VCS stating that this case has now been passed to BW Legal and has a letter attached from BW Legal stating that I now owe £154.00 which needs to be paid 16 days from the date of the letter (8th September 2016).

Firstly, this is the first I have heard of any of this and I don't know how they got the wrong address for me? I have recently moved house and can't remember if I did or did not park there, I also don't know who was driving.

Secondly, what do I do now? I may have jumped the boat already because I sent an email to BW Legal as below:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Ref ##########

I have been passed letter that is addressed to me from a neighbour, I have no idea why it was sent to my neighbour and I have no idea what this is about, this is first I have heard of any parking charge notice.

You/your client has the wrong person as I have never lived at the address that the letter was sent to, nor have I received any letters from your client in the past.

I deny any debt. Please refer this matter back to your client.

I am the registered keeper of the registration number mentioned, I cannot be held liable for this debt.

Do not contact me again.

Help.

Comments

• LoveNorfolk
    Options
    Well you've made a good start by robutting them and not naming the driver - it's good you don't know! As for the wrong address completely, I'm not really surprised as they aren't great at getting details right, but that's a new one on me! I'm sure one of the regulars will be along to give you better info. :)
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 3 October 2016 at 5:47PM
    Options
    This firm is currently under investigation by the SRA after hundreds of complaints about malpractices. They may well have breached the DPA here, and certainly have failed due diligence, so please make a complaint to Duncan Allen at

http://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems/report-solicitor.page

The more complaints the SRA receive the more likely that are to ban this firm, which is almost certainly bringing the profession into disrepute.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    See this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5524754&page=6

Please take an hour or so out this week, to write about this pathetic harassment and attempt to 'credit clamp' your finances (at the wrong address, so also harassing your neighbour) to Mrs May and your MP.

As well as complaining to the CRA and SRA.

There is a SRA complaint here, modified by me, posting there as SchoolRunMum (I didn't write it though, hat tip to a legally-qualified contact and occasional poster who knows the score re PPCs):

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=107836

CSA and SRA complaints on this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5490266

Obviously, make sure anything you send is applicable to your own case and your own letters and if you wish to write your own, do so!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • jlwood92
    Options
    Thank you. It seems most people are telling to complain etc but should I do anything in the meantime with BW Legal?

They have since replied to my email asking me to confirm my full name, address and reg number for "security reasons" it sounds to me like they don't have much on me.

Will I get bailiffs at my door?
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    "Will I get bailiffs at my door?"

you have been watch to much TV ...... :rotfl:

if you want bailiffs to call for a cuppa ..... then you have to be taken to court ..... lose or just ignore ..... then refuse to pay .... then get a CJC ... still ignore or refuse to pay ..... then and only then the PPC/solicitors may opt for bailiffs ......

Please do a few searches for BW Legal and send of strongly worded replies as found in the many cases that we have had the misfortune to see ...

good luck

Ralph:cool:
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jlwood92 wrote: »
    Thank you. It seems most people are telling to complain etc but should I do anything in the meantime with BW Legal?

They have since replied to my email asking me to confirm my full name, address and reg number for "security reasons" it sounds to me like they don't have much on me.

Will I get bailiffs at my door?

BWLegal already have your address, VRN and name of keeper.
    That's how they contacted you.

They did not require "security" before they contacted you did they ?

It's a sham to find out who the driver is, you will not tell them and they have no right to ask.

Simply tell them, they already have your details and no more information will be provided.
    Tell them if they continue to harass you, you will report them to the SRA.
  • jlwood92
    Options
    But they don't have my address. They have my neighbours and I have no idea how. Unless the DVLA cocked up somehow I'm not sure?

I will reply to the email saying the above like you suggested. I will post their reply here.

Thanks
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    But they don't have my address. They have my neighbours and I have no idea how. Unless the DVLA cocked up somehow I'm not sure?

Thanks
    Contact DVLA and get them to confirm what address they hold for you in respect of your vehicle.
  • jlwood92
    Options
    I actually did this just now, they told me they have my correct address but there was an admin error at some point and the address was incorrectly added.

In terms of VCS and BW Legal writing letters to me at the time that the DVLA had the wrong address, where do I lie with this?

Because essentially this should have never gone to BW Legal in the first place if I received the original PCN?

I hope this makes sense
  • yotmon
    yotmon Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 October 2016 at 1:44PM
    Options
    I actually did this just now, they told me they have my correct address but there was an admin error at some point and the address was incorrectly added.

In terms of VCS and BW Legal writing letters to me at the time that the DVLA had the wrong address, where do I lie with this?

Because essentially this should have never gone to BW Legal in the first place if I received the original PCN?

I hope this makes sense

It doesn't matter if there was an 'admin error', you need to know what data was passed to VCS. They only access the info once, they don't keep going back for updates.

As you received the PCN to the correct address, then VCS were obviously given that address by the DVLA.

BWLegal are sending out thousands of letters and are making mistakes with names as well as addresses, so I suggest that the error lies with them.

Important Please edit your post #1 and remove their reference number, we don't want them listening in, do we !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure