Do student loans for postgraduate tuition fees affect partner's benefits?

Options
My husband is disabled and received DLA and ESA. As a couple we also receive some housing and council tax benefits.

I recently completed an undergraduate degree and my student loan was taken into account as income and my husbands benefits were reduced along with housing/council tax benefits. These went back up when I graduated. The tuition fee part of my loan was paid directly to my university and was not counted in the reduction - only the amount I was paid directly to live on.

Now I am starting a Master's degree and I am taking another loan. Unlike the undergrad loan, the money to cover Master's tuition fees is paid into my bank, which I then use to pay the university. Does anyone know if this will count as income when my husband's benefits are being calculated? And also, will it affect council/housing benefit in the same way?

I've had a look online but I can't seem to find definitive information about postgraduate loans. Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Will a Masters loan affect my benefits?

Potentially, yes. Unlike undergraduate loans, postgraduate loans are paid directly to students. This means they function like income (and you can spend them on anything you like).

Receiving benefits will not make you inelible( :eek:) for a loan, but your loan may have an impact on the welfare support you receive.

If you receive benefits and are applying for a postgraduate loan you should discuss this with Student Finance England and / or your existing benefits provider.

The loans have a maximum value of £10,280, offered as a contribution to your tuition and living costs. There are no separate postgraduate maintenance loans.

Postgraduate Loans Scheme.

I despair ...someone should have proofread that article before publication... :doh:
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NYM wrote: »
    I despair ...someone should have proofread that article before publication... :doh:

You didn't proof read your post and have an error highlighted in bold red.
  • esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    You didn't proof read your post and have an error highlighted in bold red.

Think it's a direct quote ...
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think the treatment of the postgrad loan will be the same as the graduate loan, with only the living costs element of the loan being treated as income for benefits purposes.

This organisation may be able to confirm if this is the case:
    https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Housing_Benefit_Officer
    Options
    Grammer Nazis!!! Grammer Nazis everywhere!!!
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    I think the treatment of the postgrad loan will be the same as the graduate loan, with only the living costs element of the loan being treated as income for benefits purposes.

This organisation may be able to confirm if this is the case:
    https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline

There is no living costs element. You get up to £10k and it's up to you how you spend it. It's all paid directly to the student.
  • NoGoodNamesLeft
    Options
    OK it looks like this will be a bit more complicated than I thought - with my undergrad I just let them know what loan I was getting and it got sorted but I think I'll need to make an appointment to talk to someone about what will count.
    Thanks for the help!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport