car accident

Options
Hi Guys,

I had an accident and have a comprehensive car cover.

I was at fault according to insurance company and they are fixing my car and the third party

I have two options of either they fixing the car using their trusted dealers or I can take it to any dealer but have to cover any extra labour cost which they don't pay for

I don't trust their trusted garages as they are probably dirt cheap and worried about business rather than quality

insurance company says they only pay £26per hour for labor cost which is very cheap in my view and are asking me to cover £300 extra labor at the audi dealer.

when I asked if this was in their term and conditition and have they mentioned how much it was, they said no as this information is not disclosed to public.
I said how on earth can I know how much you are paying then before taking a policy out and did not have a reply.

so question is what can I do ?

they don't even provide a courtesy car unless I use their trusted garage .

I am thinking i will ring around audi dealers to see if someone can discount the price by £300 , do you think audi dealers will undercut each other ?

finally when they replace parts, is it reasonable for me to expect my old parts back ?

thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    so question is what can I do ?

Accept their garage or put your hand in your pocket and pay the difference. That is effectively your choice.
    I am thinking i will ring around audi dealers to see if someone can discount the price by £300 , do you think audi dealers will undercut each other ?
    It isnt the dealer but the repairs side. Often most of the local dealers and service/repairs fall under the same company. Its possible you may get different quotes when they do not but if they use the same repair company then you will not.
    finally when they replace parts, is it reasonable for me to expect my old parts back ?

you can instruct them on this in advance.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • randomi15
    randomi15 Posts: 191 Forumite
    Options
    spoken to number of dealers all of which said that is quite dodgy and not something they have come across.

i don't think what they are asking is reasonable
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    spoken to number of dealers all of which said that is quite dodgy and not something they have come across.

What is dodgy?

Most insurers will have their own preferred garages. That is certainly not unusual or dodgy. It will vary across the types of plans and the quality of plans. If you tend to buy from the comparison sites and go with the cheapest then its quite normal. If you pick from the quality options then you do get more choice.
    i don't think what they are asking is reasonable

It is not unreasonable unless your policy details say otherwise.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unless your car is on PCP or similar and requires an official dealer repair I'd just let it go or use a local garage you trust, the insurer would have no real reason to use a dodgy garage that would not repair properly as they'd have to pay out again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure