Electric Car

Options
Am looking at switching from a Co-op fixed rate that expires in December to a new deal (TCR12.07p). I can't find any reasonable guidance on the effect of electric cars and we haven't had it long enough to know how much electricity it is using.
How do we work out if the Ebico Night Owl tariff (free off peak but with standing charge) would work out beneficial?
WE don't currently have an Economy 7 or smart meter.

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    On an average of 13p per kWh, it shouldn't cost any more than £4 from flat to full charge but obviously this depends on the car and its capacity.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    This thread discusses the implications of the Ebico tariff.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5740726

You will need to know how many kWh you will need to charge the car. Then how much of your 'normal' electrical consumption, can be switched to night use e.g water heating, appliances.

The factors to consider are:

1. Only 60% can be used at night(free)

2. High daily standing charge

3. Very high peak(17 hours) kWh charge.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Electric car? - Make hay whilst the sun shines

Top up your batteries at home and you'll being paying the Govt. just 5% VAT.
    With road fuels the Govt.gets 57.95p + 20% VAT, ( 69.54p), on every litre.
    Sooner or later things will change to fill the ever widening hole in the treasury accounts
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Am looking at switching from a Co-op fixed rate that expires in December to a new deal (TCR12.07p). I can't find any reasonable guidance on the effect of electric cars and we haven't had it long enough to know how much electricity it is using.
    How do we work out if the Ebico Night Owl tariff (free off peak but with standing charge) would work out beneficial?

This is a very good source of information on EV use:

https://speakev.com

FWiW, you will find that the amount of home energy that you use will depend on:

1. Driving style.

2. Weekly distance travelled.

3. Weather conditions. EVs do not like the cold or wet conditions.

4. Any battery pre-conditioning you do in cold weather.

5. Use of public/ work chargers.

And no doubt other factors that I haven't thought about. As a guide my EV gets 5 miles out of every kWh taken on board in Summer and 4 miles per kWh in Winter.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    As a guide my EV gets 5 miles out of every kWh taken on board in Summer and 4 miles per kWh in Winter.

Hengus,
    Presumably in winter you can pre-warm the car whilst still connected to the mains??

Do you know the maximum power the heater/demister/heated rear window draws in winter?

C
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Hengus,
    Presumably in winter you can pre-warm the car whilst still connected to the mains??

Do you know the maximum power the heater/demister/heated rear window draws in winter?

C

Yes, battery conditioning(cooling or warming) takes about 3 hours and uses about 1kWh of electricity. That said, models vary, but for my EV, battery conditioning is only possible with 16/32amp fast charger; ie, not a 13amp socket. Internal pre-warming of the cabin is possible using a 13 amp socket.
  • Will all your charging at home?

A few mins along the road from me there are four fast chargers, two in a long stay/Tesco car park and another two council owned chargers on the CYC network. Free to use bar the £20pa for the RFID card :)

I can plug car in and walk home and collect a short while later. Oh, Also a free rapid charger for a quick top-up at the bus/train local park and ride where the Leaf is parked three days a week anyway :)

I know many others who also don't bother home charging, except say granny cable in an emergency... All depends on your location and routes.

Cheers
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I've got a 30kWh Nissan Leaf and went with Ecotricity to get the 52 free charges in our first year with them. That deal has now finished and if you do quite a lot of miles they charge 19p per kWh plus £3 connection fee. That said, if you get your electricity and gas with them, they waive the £3 connection charge. In the home, charging at Economy 7 rates really helps if you do not have solar making more than 3kW.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • fredandwilma
    Options
    E.on has introduced a new tariff for electric car users, E.ON Fixed 1 Year Electric Vehicle, although there are t's and c's and you need to have a smart meter installed. I've no idea how competitive it is :-

https://www.eonenergy.com/for-your-home/products-and-services

https://www.eonenergy.com/blog/2017/september/powering-your-electric-car

At the moment there's only a contact telephone number, for enquiries.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Consult a comparison site to find the best deal for you
    (you won't even be offered the Ebico Night Owl tariff as you do not have appropriate metering for that)

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport