How far can you drive on tyre sealant?

Options
kmb500
kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I got a puncture a couple nights ago and the AA came and sealed it. The guy said that because the puncture wasn't a round nail but a thin key, he couldn't seal it properly and it is leaking air. He said it was good for the evening but the next morning may well be flat. he said usually they say a sealed tyre can be driven for 100 miles but with mine it is less and needs to be changed ASAP. however its now 2 days later and the tyre is still hard.

I had national tyres come out to fit a new tyre today but lo and behold... my brand new car didn't come with a !!!!ing locking wheel nut key. So they can't get the wheel off to replace the tyre. My lease company told me they can book me in to a garage to make a new locking wheel nut key but this is next week..

anyway I was meant to drive a 140 mile round trip this weekend. and I have no idea what to do.. Obviously I shouldn't go. if it goes flat I am stuffed. But part of me says well worst comes worse, the tyre goes flat again and I get towed all the way home.

what do you think ?

Comments

• EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Take a can of tyre sealant with you and a footpump. If you get a puncture on any wheel it sounds like you are in trouble for now.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sod the foot pump. Get an electric tyre pump and take it with you.

Check the tyre every 20 miles or so and if pressure is dropping re-inflate it immediately.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    edited 9 June 2017 at 2:52PM
    Options
    kmb500 wrote: »
    So they can't get the wheel off to replace the tyre. My lease company told me they can book me in to a garage to make a new locking wheel nut key but this is next week..

There used to only be about 15 or so "keys", so if they can get in touch with their supplier, you may be able to match/borrow one from another car that works.

Edit: If there's a main dealer nearby for your brand, I'd take it in there and see if they can get you a replacement key or just swap them for keyless bolts.
  • kmb500
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Sod the foot pump. Get an electric tyre pump and take it with you.

Check the tyre every 20 miles or so and if pressure is dropping re-inflate it immediately.
    yeah I have an electric tyre pump, the car came with that.

I got the pressure gauge out and it's at 55 psi ! so safe to say in these 2 days it is not losing pressure. but I've only done 30 miles or so driving very gently. Going to do some motorwaying tonight.

You're right, I'll check it frequently and pump it up if needed. cheers for the advice.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    BeenThroughItAll Posts: 5,018 Forumite
    Options
    Be aware the AA may well refuse to come out free of charge to tow you if that tyre goes flat, as it'll fall under their 'pre-existing fault' conditions. They will obviously have a record of their previous attendance...
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    Look in the boot of your car, there should be a electric tyre pump and a can of sealant.

I suspect -if it goes down- you will only need the tyre pump. However, before you set off check the tyre pressure at a supermarket forecourt, should be about 32psi or 2.2bar, If it goes down it is likely a slow leak that can be topped up with tyre pressure.

You should check the tyre pressure ASAP, because it might not look flat but it might already have gone down to 24psi.

I would check it a few times on your journey every 50 miles or so, if it goes down you "should" be able to feel it through the steering.
  • kmb500
    Options
    Be aware the AA may well refuse to come out free of charge to tow you if that tyre goes flat, as it'll fall under their 'pre-existing fault' conditions. They will obviously have a record of their previous attendance...
    Yes that did occur to me. I've signed a document from them acknowledging that I need to change the tyre ASAP and not drive it any more.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options

Surely you've made that up? Get a puncture in a tyre you cant call them again for a puncture?
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    edited 9 June 2017 at 3:07PM
    Options
    BTW I also use these things with great results. But they are not for a novice, they need to be fitted by someone with good DIY skills.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/322017758607

They are not recommended as permanent repairs, but my idea of "non permament" is "it is OK for as long as it doesn't go down". I have never had them go down, they last until the tyre tread wear forces a new tyre to be purchased.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surely you've made that up? Get a puncture in a tyre you cant call them again for a puncture?

Not made up, from the AA terms and conditions,

The AA reserves the right to refuse to provide or arrange assistance
    where the service request is
    for, or relates to
    :
    a.
    Repeat breakdowns within 28 days
    where service is requested to deal with the same or similar cause of breakdown to that
    which the AA attended within the preceding 28 days. It is Your responsibility to make sure that emergency repairs carried out by the AA are, where appropriate, followed as soon as possible by a permanent repair.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure