Carers Allowance?

Sorry bit clueless on this matter wondering if anyone can help. MIght struggle to provide all the relevant info too so it could be apointless question.

Partners mother recently had surgery and we're in the process of getting her to our house. She was offered respite but when OH checked the places out she wasnt that happy with them (1 was end of life, 1 was a dementia home and the other was similar although not specifically dementia).

Im not 100% sure on what she claims but i think its ESA/DLA. The ESA mightve been offset/got rid of in favour of her pension?! Basically she gets some money for disability and then her pension. See what i mean about clueless?

OH is main carer but only thing claimed has been a blue badge (for when shes transporting mother) and VED. OH mainly does shopping, hospital appointments and assists as and when the disability get too much.

OHs mother will probably be at ours for about 6 weeks. We're not poor but likewise not loaded, joint income is about £40k although OH has been on maternity this year so that is considerably less at the moment.

Can/should she be claiming carers allowance or something else? We will be fine without any help but thinking there might be something that can help?

Sorry if its a bit vague.

Comments

• Diary
    Diary Posts: 591 Forumite
    You haven't given enough information about your girlfriends income or your girlfriends mother's benefits. For instance the person who claims carers, in this case your girlfriend, cannot earn more than around 110 a week. You need to post more information.

Whatever the case with your finances and if you're eligible its always a good idea to claim carers allowance - it's there for a reason. Good luck with it all.
    Master Apothecary Faranell replied, “I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives. We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace".
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Try a benefits calculator - such as http://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/startcalc.aspx?e2dwp=y
    I agree with the previous poster - Carers Allowance is out (too high income)
    You need to look at what your mother-in-law can claim, directly - rather than what you can claim for looking after her..........
  • Diary
    Diary Posts: 591 Forumite
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Try a benefits calculator - such as http://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/startcalc.aspx?e2dwp=y
    I agree with the previous poster - Carers Allowance is out (too high income)
    You need to look at what your mother-in-law can claim, directly - rather than what you can claim for looking after her..........

I didn't say carers was out.....quite the opposite in fact..
    Master Apothecary Faranell replied, “I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives. We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace".
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Looks like carers allowance is out, even on maternity earnings are way over the £110 a week. Maternity = about £11k p/a but thats split over two tax years.

Having read in to it a bit more im guessing that its just DLA and pension OH mother receives. I believe the DLA aspect is high rate mobility.

I believe OH mother claims what she can.

Seems a bit counter productive to offer respite which costs ~£500 per week but then offer nothing if relatives offer care. Suppose we're being picky by not choosing a home but its just doesnt seem appropriate for her situation. It seems theres little incentive to reduce the cost to the state?
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    the M I L would need to be receiving middle or high rate care for a claim for carers allowance to be made.

your girlfriends income would be weekly and her yearly income is irrelevant.

it is based on the income she receives whilst she is providing care.

your 'incentive' comment is in pretty poor taste.
    whilst i appreciate your reasoning, you should only provide care because you love the individual concerned, and not for monetary gain.

the fact that a care home would receive significantly more is irrelevant.
    they are a business and have no emotional bond with their clients

nursery's charge for looking after children, but you don't expect to be paid the same amount per week to look after your own child!
  • spadoosh wrote: »
    She was offered respite but when OH checked the places out she wasnt that happy with them (1 was end of life, 1 was a dementia home and the other was similar although not specifically dementia).
    She wants to thank her lucky stars that she didn't have to go into hospital.
    My wife (72) was in hospital for just over 3 weeks to undergo tests. She was first put in a maternity ward, then to a surgical ward ending up in a general ward that was being used for geriatric dementia patients (no available beds in the correct ward). She was scared stiff with the last ward. She had one woman opposite who continually shouted obscenities at her and another kept telling my wife that she was in her bed. Every time my wife went off the ward - toilet, wash etc, she returned to find this other woman in her bed. Then a scuffle ensued when my wife attempted to eject her,
    It ended with my wife discharging herself as she could not stand it anymore.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Im not 100% sure on what she claims but i think its ESA/DLA. The ESA mightve been offset/got rid of in favour of her pension?! Basically she gets some money for disability and then her pension. See what i mean about clueless?

OH is main carer but only thing claimed has been a blue badge (for when shes transporting mother) and VED. OH mainly does shopping, hospital appointments and assists as and when the disability get too much.

If your MIL is willing to let you help, get a full benefit check for her. Is she entitled to Pension Credit? Could she now be entitled to a higher level of DLA/AA?

Her DLA is given to her to help with the extra costs of being disabled. Some of that could be paid to your OH for the help she is receiving.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 February 2017 at 11:38AM
    nannytone wrote: »
    the M I L would need to be receiving middle or high rate care for a claim for carers allowance to be made.

your girlfriends income would be weekly and her yearly income is irrelevant.

it is based on the income she receives whilst she is providing care.

your 'incentive' comment is in pretty poor taste.
    whilst i appreciate your reasoning, you should only provide care because you love the individual concerned, and not for monetary gain.

the fact that a care home would receive significantly more is irrelevant.
    they are a business and have no emotional bond with their clients

nursery's charge for looking after children, but you don't expect to be paid the same amount per week to look after your own child!

Thats exactly the reason why we are looking after her. At no point was i wanting monetary gain i was seeing if there was anything available to help with costs (weve bought a bed, food and are offering 24 hr care). My pretty poor taste comment is the reality of the situation. If we earned slightly less or managed our finances badly us offering the care would be less of an option.

You also neglect the fact that we will provide care whether we get any money or not. What seems apparent is that a carer will be penalised because of there love for the relative. It seems that its all too easy for someone to pass the costs on to the state if they choose not to accept the increased costs that will be put on them. Also worth mentioning the increased stress it puts on relatives.

Youre also comparing apples and oranges with your nursery comments. Parents have a legal obligation to their children there is no such legal obligation for parents. That as you mention is down to loving the individual.

So i thank and am grateful for your responses to the matter at hand, although, i will offer you my middle finger for your opinions and assumptions on our motives for offering care.

She wants to thank her lucky stars that she didn't have to go into hospital.
    My wife (72) was in hospital for just over 3 weeks to undergo tests. She was first put in a maternity ward, then to a surgical ward ending up in a general ward that was being used for geriatric dementia patients (no available beds in the correct ward). She was scared stiff with the last ward. She had one woman opposite who continually shouted obscenities at her and another kept telling my wife that she was in her bed. Every time my wife went off the ward - toilet, wash etc, she returned to find this other woman in her bed. Then a scuffle ensued when my wife attempted to eject her,
    It ended with my wife discharging herself as she could not stand it anymore.

She has been in hospital (she had surgery, its rarely done in a back alley now a days?!) she has been in for two weeks, supposed to be a couple of days. Shes moved ward 4 times i think. She was given the responsibility of having a bell because the buzzers didnt work and was told by one nurse that she couldnt go to sleep in case a new patient needed help, she was also put on an end of life ward. She had a cast incorrectly put on, shes routinely had drugs administered as late as 00:30. She also had comments about bed blocking made to her and comments on body hair. Now the bed blocking issue has very little to do with the patient and everything to do with social care. So thanking her lucky stars? I doubt she was.

The reason it took two weeks for us to get her home was because a social worker didnt turn up until day 11, having missed two appointments, and we didnt know any of the process involved. Having broken down a few times we decided it best to get her out asap and to have her with us. It also took over 24 hrs for her to be discharged because a doctor need to look at an xray which took all of 2 minutes.

@ Mojisola, Ill speak to her and make sure shes claiming what she can. Its not uncommon for us to lend her money so i know theres little in the way of savings. Not sure if its down to simply not having a lot of disposable income or if shes not to good with money but theres a certain amount of hesitation in me getting involved with her finances. Its not indefinite and we will certainly manage, it should also help clue us up for the future so we can plan more accordingly.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't know if this would apply because your MIL is at your house rather than going home but it wouldn't hurt to ask -
    http://www.redcross.org.uk/What-we-do/Health-and-social-care/Independent-living/Support-at-home
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Thats exactly the reason why we are looking after her. At no point was i wanting monetary gain i was seeing if there was anything available to help with costs (weve bought a bed, food and are offering 24 hr care). My pretty poor taste comment is the reality of the situation. If we earned slightly less or managed our finances badly us offering the care would be less of an option.

You also neglect the fact that we will provide care whether we get any money or not. What seems apparent is that a carer will be penalised because of there love for the relative. It seems that its all too easy for someone to pass the costs on to the state if they choose not to accept the increased costs that will be put on them. Also worth mentioning the increased stress it puts on relatives.

Youre also comparing apples and oranges with your nursery comments. Parents have a legal obligation to their children there is no such legal obligation for parents. That as you mention is down to loving the individual.

So i thank and am grateful for your responses to the matter at hand, although, i will offer you my middle finger for your opinions and assumptions on our motives for offering care.

if the MIL receives DLA/ESA then minimally would receive £
    120 a week( probably more ... I've assumed WRAG ESA and only low mobility)
    if living with you, she would have no costs.
    so on top of the carers allowance ( if applicable) the MIL is in a position to contribute a significant amount to the weekly budget
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure