PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting Out of an Estate Agent Contract (or not)

Options
13»

Comments

• *~Zephyr~*
    *~Zephyr~* Posts: 612 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Another one who'd drop OIEO sraight away. House presented fine. Garden needs love.

What's with the weird poles on the fences and the extra framing over the shed?

Do you sometimes cover the entire garden with a tarpaulin?

The 'weird poles' are rollers - they are to cat-proof the garden so that their kitty doesn't go over the fences.

It is an odd pattern of dead grass. Wonder what went on there.
  • GrumpySO&SO
    GrumpySO&SO Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2017 at 12:16PM
    Options
    Yes, we have already done so. Well... anyway told them we want them to drop it so who knows might have to remind them to do it again.
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Link -

So, really, that can only mean one thing...
    Let me put this here - rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46547760.html

We don't know the area at all - why would you say your place is worth £30k+ more than that one?

Yes, it was always my concern that other houses in the area were cheaper - but EA always seemed to think that didn't matter. PLUS the 3 bed end terrace house just up the road with smaller living room/bigger (slightly) kitchen went for according to the EA £257k last year. And the 4 bedroom house went for about 280k (after a LONG time). Obviously times are different this year...

Also, that area is a dump. Southampton pretty much has 2 areas as far as I'm concerned - which may not be very fair as I can't stand the place. The very expensive but still rubbish and I wouldn't live there, or total dump. We live in a nice part of the total dump area.

*~Zephyr~* wrote: »

It is an odd pattern of dead grass. Wonder what went on there.

It was dying around the edges from the beginning but we didn't complain about it at the beginning because our plan was to dig the garden up and put bedding areas in etc etc which obviously went out the window when we had to move. (Other half got a new job in Cambridge - he's already started work there, I'm alone at home trying to shift this sodding house for a half decent price so we can afford a house in Cambridge.) I think partly - it was rubbish in the first place and also the part that isn't dead is in the shade and the garden is south facing so that part of the lawn gets fried whenever the sun deems to come out.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, it was always my concern that other houses in the area were cheaper - but EA always seemed to think that didn't matter.

<scratches head>
    Not quite sure how that works... Simply put yourself in a potential buyer's shoes...
    Also, that area is a dump. Southampton pretty much has 2 areas as far as I'm concerned - which may not be very fair as I can't stand the place. The very expensive but still rubbish and I wouldn't live there, or total dump. We live in a nice part of the total dump area.

That's a fairly fine distinction, given how close they are. Will all potential buyers understand that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure