Are there any free stock trading apps/systems like Robinhood available in the UK?

Options
I've been reading about the Robinhood app (https://www.robinhood.com/) which provides a free stock trading service. It sounds great and would be something that I'd jump on to straight away if it were available in the UK.

Does anyone know of any similar apps or websites that offer the same type of system?

Comments

• polagon
    polagon Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think there is anything similar,but we can probably see an European expansion coming from them soon(ish):

US stock trading app Robinhood is looking for a new regional CEO to "to lead and operate our planned UK/EU expansion," google Business Insider and Robinhood expansion (since I can't post links)
  • eggedd2k
    eggedd2k Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    There's another app I came across called Bux which trades in CFD's at 25 pence per transaction.(http://getbux.com/how-it-works/)

I did read that Robinhood are looking to expand into Europe.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Robinhood appears legit on the face of it, but I wouldn't use it because I don't trust their business model. There are plenty of platforms that will let you trade shares without dealing costs, so long as you pay them an annual fee (e.g. Alliance Trust). Robinhood, on the other hand, claims to make all its money from interest on uninvested cash and margin accounts. Well, I think we all know that's not going to amount to much. So how are they really paying their overheads? Ah, here we go:
    Robinhood has raised $66 million from NEA, Index Ventures, Ribbit Capital, Vaizra Investments, Google Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, Social Leverage, Box CEO Aaron Levie, Path CEO Dave Morin, Jared Leto, Snoop Dogg, Linkin Park, and Nas.
    It's a dot-com 2.0. If you're happy to go through the pain in the rear when the company runs out of VC sugar daddies, goes bankrupt, and forces you to transfer all your investments to a different broker who does actually make money, fine. (That's the best case scenario, and I have no reason to doubt that your investments would actually exist and be properly segregated from Robinhood's own assets.) Personally I can't be bothered. And I'm not attracted by any business who falls over themselves to assure me that they're not making money from me. I'm not a charity case, when I purchase a service I expect it to be a mutually beneficial transaction. If it's not then one of us is being screwed, and I'm not stupid enough to be certain it's not me.

Bux, on the other hand, I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. You're not investing in shares, you're investing in CFDs, so you're doubling the risk - if the issuer that backs the CFDs goes bust, you lose everything, even if the shares have soared in value. And the issuer in question appears to be a spread betting company, Ayondo Markets Limited. I wouldn't touch it if the CFDs were issued by RBS or Lloyds, let alone some bookmaker I've never heard of.

It's spread betting, i.e. gambling. They won't even let you invest until you "practice first with funBUX, our virtual money. That’ll give you a feel for trading." It's such an exclamation marks idea that even they're trying to protect you from using, er, themselves.
  • grey_gym_sock
    Options
    have you by any chance got the idea that buying and selling shares frequently is a good way to make money? because usually it is a very good way to lose money.

now, you don't have to use free / very cheap trading services to trade frequently. you could use them to add to / adjust your investments once a year, and then do nothing for the next 12 months. but somehow, i don't think that's the attraction of these services to most ppl.

and note that there are always costs of dealing, even if the stockbroker charges literally nothing in dealing commission. such as:
    - stamp duty (0.5% on purchase of all UK shares)
    - currency conversion charges (if buying overseas shares)
    - bid-offer spread (the difference between the prices to buy and sell)
    - insider dealing (always assume that somebody else knows something you don't about a share, and is making a profit from trading on that info - whether or not this is illegal; if they are profiting, that implies that everybody who is dealing without special knowledge must be losing out - which is 1 reason to buy or sell as rarely as possible)
  • savenator
    savenator Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
      Robinhood, like all brokerage firms that handle securities, is regulated by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). That means that your investments "exist", and they are segregated from Robinhood's assets. Google the article "Is Robinhood Safe? Here's How It's Regulated" on Investopedia (since I can't post links - did I travel back in time to 2005? Somehow Reddit solved it. Sorry about the tangent.)
    1. Robinhood makes money. Their Gold accounts are selling. I see you posted before Gold was launched, but google this, too.

Source: am a Robinhood user.
  • savenator
    savenator Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 26 July 2017 at 3:22PM
    Options
    There are quite a few low-cost or even commission-free stockbrokers launching. Here are those I know of:

• Freetrade.io. They are the most promising and look the freshest. Haven't launched yet, but I emailed their customer service, and "they are looking to launch later this year". They answered probably in five minutes, not sure if that's their usual speed. Real shares, meaning no CFD bs, and they'll have US exchanges, too.
      Trading 212 just launched, 10 free trades / month. They book their trades through Interactive Brokers. It's an FX and CFD firm. Links: trading212.com/en/Free-Stock-Trading, financefeeds.com/trading-212-hits-headlines-no-commission-physical-equities-booking-trades-investigate/
      De Giro is looking to open De Ziro for free trading, but no date yet, and it's been 2 years I think: deziro.com/uk/ They already offer free ETF trades on a number of ETFs degiro.ie/data/pdf/ie/commission-free-etfs-list.pdf

If anybody knows of another company, please share. I think we'll have Robinhood-like free trades this year or next. (I have a Robinhood account, and really want the same in the UK.)

Sorry about the broken links, they should work if you copy and paste them. Apparently I can't post links.
  • vikpaw
    vikpaw Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    savenator wrote: »
    • Freetrade.io. They are the most promising and look the freshest. Haven't launched yet, but I emailed their customer service, and "they are looking to launch later this year". They answered probably in five minutes, not sure if that's their usual speed. Real shares, meaning no CFD bs, and they'll have US exchanges, too.
    If anybody knows of another company, please share. I think we'll have Robinhood-like free trades this year or next. (I have a Robinhood account, and really want the same in the UK.)

FreeTrade is now close to launch and you can sign up to be an early adopter or for more info when they go live here http://freetrade.io?kid=H6SKB *

Theirs is a freemium model and looks good.
    Interesting article in the FT on them here
    https://www.ft.com/content/f5e5d05c-1dfa-11e7-b7d3-163f5a7f229c

Degiro offers low cost trading https://www.degiro.co.uk on a number of exchanges. It's european.

Also, iDealing, https://www.idealing.com/ offers commission free for EuroNext trading. Low cost options elsewhere.

I don't think RobinHood is progressing much but hope to see more Free Trade offerings in the future.

:money: :exclamati I have not used any of these. They all state they are registered with the FCA, but you need to do your own research on exact protection and any other fees / services charges that may be applied.

:exclamati * my link
    :exclamatiSpeed is irrelevant; if you are going in the wrong direction:exclamati
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also worth putting you wealth in Zonda, Hakoop and BlizTrade. Oh actually I just made them up. Still the fees look low...
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Apparently FreeTrade's plan to make money is that anyone with more than £10,000 will be charged 1% pa. Why on earth would anyone with £10,000 put up with such a complete rip-off?
  • savenator
    Options
    I don't think that's true. They said they would charge for extra services e.g. ISA: blog.freetrade.io/how-a-zero-fee-stockbroker-makes-money-97841b0f19d7

Based on this and their emails about the subject, account size does not matter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure