MoneyMatcher forcing payment for failed PPI claim

Options
Hi everyone,

Money matcher the PPI claims company contacted me claiming I was entitled to money back on a miss sold PPI. However, after a lengthy period I was informed I wasn't entitled to anything. One year later Money Matcher wrote to me requesting a overdue payment of £108 as I hadn't taken the claim any further. They claim I should have taken it to the ombudsman but I hadn't received any correspondence from them about how to do that - as far as I was concerned the case was closed. One year on they contact me asking for payment for not doing anything about it - does this seem strange to you?

Obviously they are wrong and somewhere an error has been made on their part but where do I stand on my rights?

I have phoned them numerous times but they insist I must pay it and do not listen to my complaint so I need some advice on what to do next.

Can I just ignore them and they'll go away?

Can they affect my credit rating?

Hopefully someone can offer some advice.

Thank you in advance.

Dean

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    does this seem strange to you?

Yes.

Unless they advised you to take it to the ombudsman then why would you? After all, you employed them to use the free of charge process.
    I have phoned them numerous times but they insist I must pay it and do not listen to my complaint so I need some advice on what to do next.

You put your complaint in writing to them (keep a copy of the letter and the date you posted it). State that your complaint was rejected by the lender and you received no communication from them to refer the case to the ombudsman and therefore did not proceed as they had not told you to.

Also state in your complaint letter that you will refer the complaint to the legal ombudsman as they have failed to take your complaint over the phone and are harassing you for the money when you have not done anything wrong.

Referring to the FOS is not an automatic stage in the process. Its only to be used if you feel the rejection reason is unfair or incorrect. So, if you didnt think there was reason to go to the FOS and they didnt tell you to then the process should end there.
    Can I just ignore them and they'll go away?

You shouldnt ignore them as they can attempt to take you to the small claims court. So, you should at least register your complaint with them and keep copies you can present the court should they do this.
    Can they affect my credit rating?

Only if it goes to court and you lose and you dont pay the money. However, they appear to be trying it on as you employed them to make the complaint. They did so and the complaint was rejected. That is where it should end. This extra money is not justified.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure