New combi boiler for 3 bedroom house

Options
Hello there,

We've had what I feel is a rather large quote - £2,500 - to fit a new combi gas boiler (condensing now, obviously) in our 3 bedroom house. We have 8 radiators and only one bathroom. The installer wanted to install a Worcester-Bosch, which I know is the most expensive make. Plumber insists they're also the most reliable. What do you think? We live in Surrey.

Many thanks,

K

Comments

• Manty
    Manty Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello, I'm currently looking at boilers as a potential job for the end of summer, and Worcester Bosch are a brand I believe are very reliable.

Yes, they aren't the cheapest, however, Vaillant (another good brand) are also in a similar league and are often more expensive... reliability is important.

Some local authorities are operating a 'Magic Boiler' scheme whereby you get the boiler at a trade/discount price (through your installer I think), it may be worth asking your local auth if they have this scheme or similar.

As to the specifics of the job, did they provide a breakdown of what the £2500 encompasses?

If you already have a combi and its simply a replacement, then it should be less in my opinion, even with a flush, test and balance (which they should also put on the quote).

Someone who has more experience will definitely come along and post about it here, but in my opinion it sounds a little expensive if its just replacing an existing combi.
  • icklejulez
    icklejulez Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Options
    Ive been quoted 1700 to reemove an old baxi, install a combi boiler with 7 radiators attached. We will be adding an extra double radiator and replacing 2 older style ones so three downstairs radiators all have the thermastatic doodah on them. My uncle told me he knows he will go down to 1500 with a little umming and ahhing.
    Saving needed to emigrate to Oz
    *September 2015*

£11,860.00 needed = £1,106 in savings

• h0ney
    h0ney Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    Worcester are certainly one of the best makes, but £2500 is a little steep for a boiler change with no rads etc. Are you having it installed in the same place, combi for combi?
  • SteUK
    SteUK Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Hi!

I have been scouting around for a possible gov grant to replace our 20+ years old boiler. British gas man did not condemn it but said it has or has had a small leak problem and it is 'on borrowed time'.

After being passed around from organisation to organisation I was put in touch with 'Energy Smart' 0845 230 3320. The nice chap on the end of the phone is sending me some info and told me I can save 30 or 40% off the cost of the actual boiler. They cannot install it for me as they deal with the south London/Kent area, I am in sunny Banbury.

Anyway, that info aside...we had British Gas come and quote for a new boiler yesterday. He seems to think, boiler aside, our radiators need some work so they can be flushed (£75 + vat each!). They are the 2 feed in at one point style, think they have pipe going to the center of the radiator and this is why they cannot be flushed and have to be _fixed_. He also wants to replace our tank and add an emersion heater. We are waiting for the quote on paper but he is talking £3500 to £4000! I laughed, a lot.

I am obviously going to get more quotes, but was wondering if anyone could offer advice as to my situation?

Thanks!
    Ste
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family