Moissanite Engagement Ring

Hi All,

Hoping I’m not alone with this, I’m popping the big question early next year and my better half has indicated she’s happy with a diamond simulant engagement ring. I know she has ethical concerns over blood diamonds, but it’s mostly the case that we’re both pretty frugal with big ticket items as we’ve only just recently cleared all our debt :beer:

I’ve carried out extensive research online and alternative diamonds have come on leaps and bounds from a quality perspective in recent years, plus the costs are a fraction of a real diamond.

Has anyone ever bought a Charles and Colvard Forever One moissanite stone from a UK retailer? I’d ideally want to buy within the UK so my ring is hallmarked and I know its quality is guaranteed.

Thanks, Doug

Comments

• I find a lot of people nowadays don't want to spend three months’ salary on a ring, regardless of the material (diamond etc) it still represents your devotion to your wife.

We opted for a Moissanite ring, forever one from Lily Arkwright (UK based) and saved thousands compared to a conventional diamond. The solitaire was similar to this and we opted for a 2ct centre stone.

https://lilyarkwright.com/collections/lily-arkwright-moissanite-solitaire-engagement-rings/products/moissanite-engagement-ring-white-gold-grace-solitaire
  • Doug - Lily Arkwright have a 10% sale on this weekend for the first 100 customers daily.

https://lilyarkwright.com/
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 24 November 2017 at 12:08PM
    Don't go for the 2ct - no matter how good the quality, anything that big screams 'fake' (unless you're Richard Burton's heir).

1cts look much more natural.
  • Thank you so much for your advice both, I've looked at the Lily Arkwright link and the rings look really good.

Silvertabby - Trouble is my other half has her heart set on a big ring, she’s already said 2.5ct (she’ll knock over furniture with that!), I’m going to have a good luck tonight after work. I’ve noticed the 10% sale is now finished but it says its back on sat & sun so still have time.

Everyone seems to go with while gold or platinum these days, I really like the rose gold, it looks really unique.

Doug
  • Ok, so i've chosen the ring!

2.2ct rose gold solitaire (its called grace), its not quite as big as my better half alluded to but knowing her taste i think she'll love it. Plus, its free return is she's not keen.

:T:T:T
  • So the deed is done! She said yes :) Turns out i wasn't a million miles off with my ring, we ended up returning it for a oval solitaire as opposed to the brilliant round solitaire (white gold, not rose gold). :beer::beer::beer:

Akoca
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    congatulations on your engagement :) probbaly best she got to decide which one she wanted ... that sums up married life lol ...

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • I've known that for a little while :(
  • Congrats Doug :)

I take it you told the missus it was a moissanite stone? The wife hasn't let on to anyone her ring is moissanite and nobody is any the wiser! Saved a packet.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback