Chanie fabulously looks after her pennies...

Options

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Two steps forward, two steps back

OH is really feeling down about our money situation at the moment. His work is more insecure so he feels it more. Hopefully, things will pick up over the next few weeks and we should be back on track. The problem is that we may have a good couple of months and then we get a set back, like car expenses and then we are back to square 1.

Whilst we both work and are better off for doing so, it does mean we have more expenses like childcare costs and needing two cars. Plus, we have big families so we always have a birthday etc to sort out. It feels never ending......

I need to think of some more ways to manage our situation.
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had a problem car. It's why I'm in debt - every 5 weeks something would break and cost £800. Everytime I'd tell myself I'd get a new one. Hubby decided we'd trade it in and we have one of those agreements where we pay monthly and can buy at the end. It's cheaper for us! We get much better fuel economy and no surprise costs :) something to consider? You get all servicing, road assistance included. X
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • chanie
    Options
    Our cars are getting on now, but have lasted us really well. They aren't quite money pits yet, but their age means that they soon will be. I think we'll look at replacing one of them in the next year or so. DD starts school in September and hopefully our childcare bill will go down a bit. But no doubt, something else will pop up in its place.

I've decided to focus on being more efficient in our food shopping. We spend about £70 a week, which isn't huge and whilst we shop in Lidl/Aldi for most things, I don't think we shop as well as we could. I'm quite efficient in buying birthday presents etc, in that I can get lots for our money, but I don't do that for food shopping and I think it would take some of the pressure off, if we did better with this.

Watch this space.....
  • chanie
    Options
    oh dear

I checked my bank account today and I'm at the top of my overdraft. I really thought I was going to do well this month, but I took my eye off the ball. I don't spend money on magazines, lunches at work or snacks but it's things like supermarket top ups and lots of offers, like some clothes for the children, Xmas presents and a few bits for me.

I don't really have to buy anything else for the rest of the month and I still have my weekly budget to see me through until pay day, so I should be okay. I normally write down my spending in my diary, but I have got out of the habit of doing this.

One of my problems is that I like to be in control and I hate being disorgsnised or paying full price if I can grab a bargain. The downside is that it means I'm constantly spending.
  • chanie
    Options
    a frugal day

DS had in inset day today and I needed to think of ways to entertain the children with minimal effort. Partly due to not spending and also OHs car still needs fixing.

In the end, we went to the library as the children enjoy going. I also borrowed some books and its nice to be able to enjoy something for free.

We also made some pancakes as we didn't have any on Tuesday. The children enjoyed making and flipping the pancakes, but didn't really eat them, although the batter was cheap enough.
  • chanie
    Options
    Easter preparation

Easter is early this year and whilst I've already started to prepare, it will soon be here.

Easter egg hunt every year, I plan a hunt with the children and the weather is a wash out. Maybe I should organise do a trip out instead.

Easter presents last year, my local Tesco were selling some hexbugs with bunny ears, reduced from £5 to £1. I bought them to give to our nieces and nephews as an alternative to Easter eggs.

Easter hat parade the nursery always does a parade and I've bought the hat, but need some pound shop decorations.

church cake ny church is having a cake decoration competition and the lovey penny gave me a recipe, so I'd better get moving with this.
  • chanie
    Options
    Today, we visited a local park, which was having an open day. Although the weather wasn't very nice, the children got to try a couple of new activities so it was a nice morning, which didn't cost anything.

A sickness bug is currently sweeping through our home. Dd has had a temperature for the past two nights, but woke up this morning and seemed much better. OH has been in bed all day with a bug and DS jumped into bed we with him at 4pm and threw up, although he seems like he is on the mend. Knowing my luck, it will hit me as I've booked a couple of days off work, due to DS being on half term. We have quite a bit of running around to do.

OH invited his family around but luckily they didn't stay too long as they knew everyone was ill. I made a cake which everyone enjoyed.
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    chanie wrote: »
    Today, we visited a local park, which was having an open day. Although the weather wasn't very nice, the children got to try a couple of new activities so it was a nice morning, which didn't cost anything.

A sickness bug is currently sweeping through our home. Dd has had a temperature for the past two nights, but woke up this morning and seemed much better. OH has been in bed all day with a bug and DS jumped into bed we with him at 4pm and threw up, although he seems like he is on the mend. Knowing my luck, it will hit me as I've booked a couple of days off work, due to DS being on half term. We have quite a bit of running around to do.

OH invited his family around but luckily they didn't stay too long as they knew everyone was ill. I made a cake which everyone enjoyed.

I hope DD and OH are all feeling a bit brighter today and fingers crossed you don't come down with anything.

Take care.x.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • chanie
    Options
    Payday at last....

I'm really going to work hard this month to get back on track.
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you're already really resourceful when it comes to gifts. I know what you mean though no matter how much you save and don't spend in certain areas it still seems to get spent. And supermarkets are always the culprit! I really struggle getting the shopping in on budget. I don't buy meat for every meal and try only buying what we need and not what's on offer but it still goes pants up. Shoppers in training. We ought to have badges xxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills