State pension and tax

Options
Can someone please explain why when you reach the state pension age in November and receive your pension the tax office use a full years amount against your personal allowance

Comments

• Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    edited 14 December 2017 at 4:29PM
    Options
    wenro wrote: »
    Can someone please explain why when you reach the state pension age in November and receive your pension the tax office use a full years amount against your personal allowance

have you spoken to them?

IQ

Edited as I misread the original post
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When the state pension is added in you pay extra tax . But you only pay 1/12 of the amount each pay day from the code number is increased.

e.g If you receive £600 per month from November to March - 5 months you receive £3000.

if your code is changed to include £3000 you will only pay tax on 1/12 of £3000 each month for November to March., so 5/12 = 5x250= £1250

But you should be paying Tax on £3000 so by including the year's amount ££7200 you pay tax on 5/12 of £7200= £3000

So you pay the correct amount of tax due and do not incur an underpayment at the end of the year.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,866 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They deduct the full annual amount but change you to a M1 non cumulative code so the correct tax is deducted. If they deducted the actual amount you would end up paying tax in one lump according to how many 1/12ths of the year had already passed then the correct amount going forward.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,798 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you had a notice of coding to tell you your new tax code? Does it say something really informative (yes I am being sarcastic) like we will deduct tax in a special way? (This is what my letter in the same circumstances said). This is HMRC gobbledegook for - your new tax code is on a month 1, week 1 basis.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure