PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What's is the best property to buy (for 9 month period)

Options
Help!! Bit of a long story but I want to share the backstory so you have full picture.

We have sold our property, which is a fairly difficult property to sell (large 4 bed detached, tiny garden) for asking price after 3 months on the market. We then lost the 'forever home' we were intending to buy. After a few weeks searching we can't find anything that compares. BUT.....we can not go into rented as we are in a long term mortgage deal which will cost us £30K to get out of :eek:

We have seen a new build property which we really like but the development is not out of the ground yet so likely to be 12 months before house is built so we need to buy something in the meantime. The options are

Small 4 bed detached Bovis new build, 1 of 3 remaining plots on site. 2 ensuites and 'average for newbuild' sized garden £329K with £16500 deposit contribution. To the back of the house is a row of affordable housing owned by the local housing trust. We could move in, our furniture would 'sort of' fit but i am worried about being able to resell quickly and not losing money.

or

3 bed 60's semi detached, the 3rd bedroom is a box room, it needs some decorating/uplift, some of our furniture would need to go into storage, but its £187K.

The decision is new build which is no work and reasonable to live in, or older house which we would need to do work to and major compromise with my 11 yo sleeping in box room

Any views, opinions or advice appreciated

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    With a newbuild if selling quickly you are quite likely to take a loss whereas you ought to be able to sell the 60's house for roughly what you paid for it and minor "work" (decorating?) on it might enhance its value slightly.

11 year old sleeping in a box room for a year as a concern ?- definitively a First World Problem.
  • sparky130a
    sparky130a Posts: 660 Forumite
    Options
    So how will that work?

Has your lender agreed to suspend the mortgage? If you're not porting to another property and you don't own the existing property..

Surely you sell the house and pay off the mortgage. That's one hell of an early redemption figure.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    When you say you've sold your current home have you actually exchanged & completed or just had an offer? If it's the former I would pull out of the sale or delay exchange until I'd found another dream home. If it's the latter then I would take the older home as I think that would be the least expensive option.
  • spendingmad
    spendingmad Posts: 488 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Sparky - yes we will port the mortgage to either property. We have £123k remaining on the mortgage so either property will fit the LTV ratio.

Anotherjoe - yes I know what you need re 'firstworldproblem' I think because we were set up to move to something fantastic and now we are saying you are going to live in a cupboard for 12 months. :rotfl: she wouldnt cause a fuss its the DH that feels bad about it.
  • spendingmad
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    When you say you've sold your current home have you actually exchanged & completed or just had an offer? If it's the former I would pull out of the sale or delay exchange until I'd found another dream home. If it's the latter then I would take the older home as I think that would be the least expensive option.

Pixie - we have just accepted an offer, but we have had school catchment area changes which will affect house values and sale-ability on top of it already being not the easiest house to sell. The price we have got for it I dont think we would get in 12 months
  • spendingmad
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    So you need to buy so you can port your mortgage over and not have topay the early redemption fee?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Yes thats right - right to port mortgage and get out of early redemption fee, port again in 12 months time
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    All that hassle to just do it again in 9-12 months, that's crazy. Assuming that you haven't crazily exchanged on your own house before securing a new house (given the mortgage issue!), why not just pull out of the sale and wait 9 months. Surely that's the cheapest and easiest solution, otherwise you're paying all costs twice.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Like Pixie I'm not now so sure either option is great; hence deleting my post.

Factor in the costs of moving twice + the hassle....
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Delay the sale and keep looking for a long-term purchase.
    Anything else would be living up to your username!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Sparky - yes we will port the mortgage to either property. We have £123k remaining on the mortgage so either property will fit the LTV ratio.

Anotherjoe - yes I know what you need re 'firstworldproblem' I think because we were set up to move to something fantastic and now we are saying you are going to live in a cupboard for 12 months. :rotfl: she wouldnt cause a fuss its the DH that feels bad about it.

Does he feel £10k++ bad about it which is the amount you could easily lose when reselling a newbuild? Either treat the 60's house as a rental, or swallow the costs of reselling the current house.

To contemplate making such a loss on a newbuild because a child will have to sleep in a box room is ridiculous. It also might be good for the 11 year old that she is actually helping the family out with her "sacrifice". Ever seen Grand Designs or similar, where families live in caravans or at InLaws for a year or two whilst they build their dream house? And your DH is worrying about a box room? Tell him to get a grip, seriously, a new build shouldn't even be on the radar (unless prices are roaring away in your area)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure