PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter

Options

Comments

• Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Options
    I know my dad used to put clear plastic up at the windows when i was a kid, may do that as our windows are awful and the council won't replace them. (mumble grumble)
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • kethry
    kethry Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hapless wrote: »
    i thought i was the only one who did that.

LOL nope i don't think so!! I remember reading a thread last year on saving money on gas and electricity.. it went on for pages and pages, all full of ideas on saving both gas and leccy, and people got quite competitive about keeping the heating off for as long as they could! Anyway, that tip about the duvet was on there, and i didn't do it last year and i remember thinking a few times during the winter "i can feel the cold coming through the mattress" (we've the kind of bed that doesn't have anything between the floor and the wooden bed slats) and thinking that maybe i should get the duvet out to put underneath the sheets. I never did (lazy) but i'm determined to do it this year. see if it makes a difference.
  • louidog
    louidog Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    *fingers in ears smiley* la - la - la. I can't hear you ;)

Penny. x

Same here...I really wish I was an Earth Mother but just seem to get good intentions and nothing else!!!

I still have my winter duvet on the bed as it's been so cold so far this summer :eek:
    My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being, hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint.
    -Erma Bombeck-
    ~ Member of the MSE Celebdaq Minileague ~
  • Hapless_2
    Options
    Oh it definately makes a difference, a big difference. When we wake up on a frosty morning it's a race to see who can get downstairs to light the rayburn and get the kettle on first.

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • denise_h_2
    Options
    Hapless wrote: »
    I know my dad used to put clear plastic up at the windows when i was a kid, may do that as our windows are awful and the council won't replace them. (mumble grumble)

I don 't know if you can still get it, but many years ago when I was young and skint I got some "instant double glazing" from the DIY shop. It consisted of sticky tape that you put round the window frame and a polythene sheet that you cut to fit. When you had done this you used a hairdyer on a low heat and shrunk the polythene until it was as tight as a drum. It really kept a lot of the unwanted draughts out. Then when spring came round you peeled it off. Its only disdvantage was that once it was in place you couldn't open a window
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Options
    Yes the instant double glazing is still available, my DD puts it on her windows each year.
    We are lucky, we're double glazed throughout & the house has cavity wall insulation, we have also added extra 6 inchs of loft insulation.
    Before we bought our own place we were in a top floor flat, the windows aere double glazed, but were fitted badly so we had tremendous draughts coming in, also the front door was to small & you could see daylight all round it, I got a pair of huge pink velvet lined curtains & sewed them together, hubby hung a broom handle over the door & we hung them from that, it made such a difference, there were 6 rooms in the flat in total & only 3 of them had heating in.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • Hapless_2
    Options
    _wsb_342x248_cornishunits.gifWe havecavity wall insulation, but only downstairs as the upstairs is wood and tiles. (cornish unit)
    The Cornish Unit has two distinct parts to its construction. The ground floor structure comprises reinforced concrete panels slotted between them in pre-formed grooves in the column sections. The first floor and roof is a tile-hung timber structure which is supported by the concrete columns of the house.

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • Ellidee
    Ellidee Posts: 6,216 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Love your cottagey house Hapless.
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. William James
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I just got the final late summer garden sorting done. Yay me.

I do hurt all over though...
  • overlykeensaver
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »

This autumn/late summer I shall be making;
    bread and butter pickles

is there a recipe:j?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing