Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Options

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Can I ask - I have sent all the paperwork to stepchange - Will they contact me once they have checked it all or can I call them if I have questions about it?

Thanks

Katie - it should be 'yes' to both questions. Any uncertainties - phone your intermediary and ask him/her.

Still uncertain - ask on here.
  • Suec81
    Suec81 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 10 June 2017 at 4:30PM
    Options
    Hi everyone I was on here back in oct/Nov 2016 and got some great help and advise about entering a dro. So my dro was granted in Nov 2016 and it's been going great. Anyways last week I put in a claim for a delayed flight back in 2012. There was me,my partner and 3 kids. I received a call today saying I was entitled to £1800. Great I thought then it hit me about my dro! Where does that leave me? Although the £1800 is to be shared out between me and my family which makes about £360 each the cash is going into my bank account!. Does anyone know what I should Do?
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Suec81 wrote: »
    Hi everyone I was on here back in oct/Nov 2016 and got some great help and advise about entering a dro. So my dro was granted in Nov 2016 and it's been going great. Anyways last week I put in a claim for a delayed flight back in 2012. There was me,my partner and 3 kids. I received a call today saying I was entitled to £1800. Great I thought then it hit me about my dro! Where does that leave me? Although the £1800 is to be shared out between me and my family which makes about £360 each the cash is going into my bank account!. Does anyone know what I should Do?
    No one's going to analyse your bank account. You have not gone over the £1000 asset limit so you don't need to do anything.
  • Suec81
    Suec81 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you once again fatbelly!
  • Pattie94
    Pattie94 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, me and my partner will be applying for DRO. He had an road accident back in 2015 and he may be due personal injury money. However, it won't be for salary loss. It already took nearly 2 years, they only agreed to send all the documents to the court so we are not sure when he will be getting the payout. It will be between £1-£10k but likely no more than £5k. Will the payout affect his DRO? Thank you.
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Pattie94 wrote: »
    Hello, me and my partner will be applying for DRO. He had an road accident back in 2015 and he may be due personal injury money. However, it won't be for salary loss. It already took nearly 2 years, they only agreed to send all the documents to the court so we are not sure when he will be getting the payout. It will be between £1-£10k but likely no more than £5k. Will the payout affect his DRO? Thank you.

Here's the guidance
    Personal injury payments received during the moratorium period will be dealt with depending on the composition of the payments (special and general damages). If the compensation relates solely to general damages and is received during the moratorium period, this will not adversely affect the DRO so long as the funds are used only for living expenses and not converted into tangible assets. Should the funds be used to make a large purchase, rather than on living expenses, the OR will consider revocation should the collective value of the debtor’s assets exceed £1,000.
  • Pattie94
    Options
    Great, thank you. What if we just don't spend it?
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Pattie94 wrote: »
    Great, thank you. What if we just don't spend it?

As long as it's just a general damages payment, should be fine.
  • Pattie94
    Options
    What happens if we paid for the car insurance upfront for the whole year and once the renewal comes(while on DRO) we would like to pay monthly? Thank you.
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Not a problem. A monthly figure for car insurance will be in the DRO application so it's already accounted for. Equally if you have enough to pay in one lump and avoid interest charges, that's fine too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback