PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    For the first time ever, I Wombled a May 2014 Gardeners World's magazine out of a green paper bin near my house. Is it theft if it is in the bin? I did think about knocking on the door and asking but I was too embarrassed.

Hubby quite often picks up the weeks TV guide from the railway station bins. He never buys one.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Somebody I know got very friendly with her fruit and veg market stall man and asked if she could take away all the discarded cauliflower leaves and old carrots etc for her rabbits. She didn't have have any rabbits but she apparently made some very fine soups out of them !
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    Somebody I know got very friendly with her fruit and veg market stall man and asked if she could take away all the discarded cauliflower leaves and old carrots etc for her rabbits. She didn't have have any rabbits but she apparently made some very fine soups out of them !
    I agree with saving the food from waste, but not with the element of deception :(
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I agree with saving the food from waste, but not with the element of deception :(

Hmm a difficult question isn't it ,if she tells him he will not give them to her but bin them so wastage but if she keeps schtum they will be used up and not wasted .I can understand that morally the deception is wrong ,but then again binning stuff is wrong as well, perhaps if she bought other stuff from him that would make up for the deception I can't see him having a problem with that then as he is still earning a living from her Tough call :(
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Hmm a difficult question isn't it ,if she tells him he will not give them to her but bin them so wastage but if she keeps schtum they will be used up and not wasted .I can understand that morally the deception is wrong ,but then again binning stuff is wrong as well, perhaps if she bought other stuff from him that would make up for the deception I can't see him having a problem with that then as he is still earning a living from her Tough call :(
    Answer: get a rabbit :D

Then scrounge away with not only a clear conscience, but one that is morally superior knowing you are helping to feed the world. :A
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • consultant31
    consultant31 Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use a plastic funnel for decanting dregs of hand wash etc. It doesn't fall over, unlike the times when I've tried the balancing act.

I bought one of these, years ago.....its foolproof and has paid for itself many times over by saving bottle dregs from being discarded

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Funnel-Multi-Purpose-Store/dp/B00P5ALIII/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_79_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YTV75CRSG7HAQWMNWTMF
    I let my mind wander and it never came back!
  • JessaEra
    JessaEra Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I like more ideas from this thread as its very useful in my daily living. I'm on my way of saving every pennies I got and I'm dropping it off on my piggy bank. Its really a big ceramic saving bank and I'm halfway there of filling it up.

When I was cleaning our basement, I found different kinds of US coins and I decided not to sell it for my future reference. Lol.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It has taken me more than six months but I have finally read both Sneaky Ways threads from start to finish. I decided in Februaryl that I would read at least a page a day. The Pages document I’ve created to save all my favourite tips is over 33 pages long. (Pages is Apple’s word processor. Free on my iPad.)

I also found the first tip I ever posted, below, on 6th July 2012. It was in response to a post concerning my frugal “bible”, aka The Tightwad Gazette. I’m really surprised that it took until April this year before I posted again.
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Yes, me too.

Which brings me to the tip I wanted to share. I use Douwe Egbert coffee jars to store my spices. ( The 200g jars hold about 500g of ground spice.) To label the jars, I was inspired by the tip Amy gives about sticking a dinosaur picture onto her son's lunch box. I used MS Word to print up some nice labels, then stuck them on clean jars and covered them with clear contact paper for a waterproof finish. (Note: they don't go in a dishwasher.) Fancy, matching jars for virtually nothing extra (I buy them on offer).

To get the glue off from the jars' original labels, apply WD40.

How can I summarise over 10 years of tips? The early ones were all about watering things down: milk, shampoo, hand wash, washing liquid, washing up liquid, hair conditioner, body lotion... I’ve tried most of them and I can confirm that watering body lotion or hand cream does not work. It’s the mixing-oil-and-water-problem, with the body lotion sitting in suspended drops throughout the water, so you couldn’t even pour it off. It was Cien Body Lotion, which is quite thick. This was an experiment I started in March after someone on the earlier thread suggested it. In an attempt to rescue it, I added Mr T’s value baby lotion (25p for 500ml), which helped, but the water means it does not dry off in the same way as “normal” body lotion. At two pumps a day (one for each leg), I’ve nearly finished the recycled-Value-hand-soap-bottle-ful and won’t be watering it again. When I top up the bottle again, I’ll use 25% Cien to 75% baby lotion and see how that goes.

Reusing Value handsoap bottles is probably my most visible money saving tip. I use them for hand soap (Value foam bath which I scent with lemon verbena or eucalyptus essential oils), shampoo (watered if it is too gluggy), body lotion, body wash, hair conditioner (always watered since I realised the only physical difference between value conditioner and the more expensive was the value was thinner so if I watered the more expensive, it’d work out cheaper than the value), and washing up liquid (diluted with vinegar to combat the effects of our horrendously hard water).

As mentioned in April, I used to travel a lot for work, colllecting all the small bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body wash and body lotion. When I run out of something, I’ll use the hotel samples to top up the relevant pump action bottle. Also, I dye my hair and find that the bottle of hair conditioner supplied will easily last 3 or 3 hair dye sessions, so I save up the hair conditioner and use that (watered down) to refill my hair conditioner pump action bottle.

My final tip for today is that I use a permanent marker (sharpie pen) to date when I open a bottle of shampoo/conditioner/body wash/body lotion, if it’s been watered (hair conditioner) and how long the last bottle lasted. It helps me work out when I need to buy refills.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • ouraggie
    ouraggie Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    [QUOTE=mcculloch29;72525192.

I use laundry gel and use my kitchen shears to cut the bottle in half when "empty". I then put both halves of the bottle in a 3/4 full load.

Doing this also washes the bottle out nicely ready for recycling. There's always some gel left within.[/QUOTE]

Yes, i do similar, much to DH's amusement, but I just add a bit of water to the dregs in the bottle, put the lid on, shake it and then pour the detergenty water evenly over the dirty clothes in the machine.
  • consultant31
    consultant31 Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I cut toothpaste tubes in half when they're squeezed flat. Opening up the two halves and running my toothbrush round the inside gives me enough for another three or four days :)
    I let my mind wander and it never came back!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback