Cruciate ligament damage in dogs

Options

Comments

• MRSCARNEY
    Options
    She doesn't seem in any pain! In fact we've noted with interest other comments were people have not been given anti inflammatories to stop their dogs doing too much. Fortunately, the worst she seems to be doing is jumping on and off the settee when we don't get to her quick enough. She hasn't bothered with her stiches at all and the other dogs seem to realise that she is "delicate" and are treating her accordingly.

Fingers crossed she'll keep on doing well and will be good as new in a few months. I must admit, I was really suprised when the vet said she could go out for short walks on a lead but she seems fine with that although she doesn't put her poorly leg down much.

The other two have just gone out and she's just given a big sigh and curled up next to me. I'm going to look for a car ramp now as I struggle to lift her, she's a big girl for her age and I call her my chunky monkey!!

As for people who say it's only a dog - well all I can say is that's their loss. When I think of how much pleasure and unconditional love you get from a four legged friend it easily outweighs financial issues (although I realise that this can be a big concern for people). When we lost our 7 year old dog suddenly earlier this year we were heartbroken but it was worth the pain for the time we had with her.

Give me dogs over people every day!!!
  • pamril1
    pamril1 Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks coco, Looks like I've made a big boo boo with choosing the insurance I did. I best get saving for that just to be on the safe side.

Mrscarney- Glad she's not in any pain. Thats what I'm scared of to be honest I'd hate to see her like that, she's on antinflammatories at the vets so I'm guessing thats what they will send her home with.
    Totally agree horrid people like that don't realise the love and affection you get from having a dog and as you say that is their loss.
    Supporting the Childhood Eye Cancer Trust
  • MRSCARNEY
    Options
    Well, she's had a nice snooze on the settee - snores worse than my husband !

Just going to take her out for a ten minute stroll as per vets instructions, fortunately she's fine on a lead unlike most Springers I know.

It's so hard not too worry about them as they can't understand what's going on but lots of TLC will make you and your dog feel better!
  • MRSCARNEY
    Options
    Just got back and she's settled back on the settee. She seemed fine, a little awkward on the poorly leg but putting it down on the floor. She did insist on barking at everyone we met though which she doesn't normally do, although she was wagging her tail at the same time.

Back to my search for a car ramp now.
  • pamril1
    Options
    Well I have just rang them and she is doing fine. Has come out of her cage and is using the leg well. No more vomiting so needs no fluids, eating well, still a bit nervous but has taken to her link nurse so she's been getting plenty of hugs. She's been trying to sit on the nurses knee as she does at home so is ok in herself by the sounds of it.
    Apparently the link nurse took her into the reception area and popped away for a few minutes and when she got back she'd pooped in reception! lol
    Bit concerned about the leaving her in reception bit mind you as huskies are known for their escape tactics (she can open doors and of course jump which is why she's in this predicament) and I know she wouldn't get far with her leg like it is but I'm still a tad concerned. Just me being a worry wort!
  • MRSCARNEY
    Options
    Great to hear she is doing well. It's only natural for you to worry and I bet you can't wait to see her. When we were sat in the waiting room waiting to collect Briar from the vets you could see the concern on everyone's faces as there are so many people whose pets mean the world to them.

They enrich our lives so much it's no suprise we worry about them when they are poorly. We haven't had a holiday abroad since we got our first dog as we pefer to stay in the UK in a nice doggy friendly hotel.
  • pamril1
    Options
    MRSCARNEY wrote: »

They enrich our lives so much it's no suprise we worry about them when they are poorly. We haven't had a holiday abroad since we got our first dog as we pefer to stay in the UK in a nice doggy friendly hotel.

I know what you mean we haven't either, couldn't stand putting them in kennels or being away from them for that matter. I have noticed that you have to really search now for cottages that will allow you to take your dogs it never used to be so hard.
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pamril1 wrote: »
    Norbertsmum- Poor thing having to have both his legs done. Does he suffer from any pain or discomfort now? I only ask because the vet said she'll probably be uncomfortable in cold weather (ironic with her being a husky)

He has a slight limp on his TPLO leg and always cocks that one (balancing on the repaired one). I've held off using NSAI yet but I think he may need some to help him through the cold, damp days of winter. He's about 12 years old now and not as mad as he used to be but I am careful about his exersice and don't let him over do it.
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • pamril1
    Options
    The vets have rang we can collect her at 2 this afternoon....off to pets at home I go to get her treats ready.
    I'll be relieved to finally get her home, certainly feels longer than 3 days since we last saw her.
  • cocoluvsmummy
    Options
    Thats good news, she will soon be back with you.
    Don't be worried if she wont eat for a couple of days, its a lot to go through and they can't always be bothered, also you might need to put her water in reach so she doesnt have to move to get it, we gave Jess hers right nest to her every hour, in fact she was so pathertic and in pain we had to lift her head up to it to begin with.

Keep us posted on her progress, and piccies are always welcome
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport