PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Boundary

At the rear of my garden is a piece of land 16x8m that I have been trying to buy from my neighbour for the last 6 months but he's not interested in selling.
When I look on his deeds from the land registry it shows his boundary line about 4m into his land and away from my boundary so sort of no mans land.
What's peoples opinions on who's land this is?

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have you checked whether it's registered under a separate title?
  • I have checked but nothing showing. The neighbour has about 10 acres with a fence going round it but it goes around the bit I have been trying to buy as though he knows it's not he's.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Currently the de facto occupier is your neighbour. He may have adverse possession of that part you claim isn't his.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • henry24
    henry24 Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Currently the de facto occupier is your neighbour. He may have adverse possession of that part you claim isn't his.

Could you give me more informtion on that.
  • If it does not belong to your neighbour he may be in the process of seeking 'adverse possession' himself. If so, it wouldn't be his land to sell. I doubt he would want any attention drawn to it in case the actual owner is alerted and claims it back.
    Alternatively, If he isn't using the land and doesn't own it perhaps you could start using it yourself? That usually alerts the actual owner and you could then negotiate the purchase with them.
  • lincroft1710
    If the owner of the land didn't occupy it and just abandoned it, then your neighbour could have fenced it off and occupied it himself. If his occupation goes unchallenged for 10 yrs he can apply to the Land Registry for the title of the land. However the LR must inform the registered owner of the land of the application and if the owner objects, the application fails
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • henry24
    henry24 Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    In reply to the last two posts there is no other owner just us two. I bought the house two years ago after the previous owner died about a year before, my back garden is just a small piece of grass with a small hedge at the back and then this land that the previous owner of my home used as his veg garden and orchard.
    My house had no deeds when I bought and when registered my boundary line was put where the hedge is the same as the plans from the EA details, and the neighbours only got deeds to there's about 5 years ago and I'm wondering if his boundary was put in the wrong place and he's not said anything thinking nobody would find out. Nothing has been done with the land for a few years it's just an overgrown jungle.
  • lincroft1710
    You've now told us something which you should have mentioned in your first post - that the land (or part of) you want to buy had been used by your vendor.

There are 4 possible explanations.

1. It is owned by a 3rd party and your vendor used it with or without permission.

2. It is owned by your neighbour and your vendor used it with permission.

3a. It was owned by your vendor and your neighbour is either going down the adverse possession route or is just hoping you will assume it is his.

3b. It was owned by your vendor and shortly before his death he sold it to your neighbour and the paperwork was never properly completed.

If it is 3a. then somewhere along the line the boundary of your property has not been correctly recorded. However be aware that trying to determine where your boundary should be, can be very, very expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure