Wowo Campsite, breed specific dog ban

Options
There's a huge fuss going on on the Wowo Campsite Facebook page. The campsite owners have decided to have a breed specific ban, on boxers, Rottweilers, pit bulls and Alsatians.

http://www.wowo.co.uk/faqs.html

Comments on the Facebook page are over 800. Either have all dogs or have a no dog policy, how will they recover?

Comments

• Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd have booked a different site as soon as I read that idiotic 'tummy tickle' rule, which is apparently not a joke.

I expect it will harm their business, a lot of regular campers are dog owners.

Still, it's rather depressing to see that so many of the comments are of the 'small dogs are the bad ones!' type. Those commenters are guilty of exactly the same thing they're angry at the campsite for!
  • marmitepotato
    Options
    I think the owners of that campsite have committed financial suicide with their ridiculous rules. Apparently they've started to delete peoples comments from their Facebook page, that's going to take them a very long time!
  • downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Interestingly many French campsites ban certain breeds. I only know because we are hoping to take our dog down through France into Spain this winter.
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 August 2014 at 7:26PM
    Options
    I don't know what all the fuss is about, tbh. It's their business, it's entirely up to them which dogs they let in, if any. They're not the first business to have a similar policy (my local dog daycare doesn't let any bull breeds in) and they won't be the last. Yes, their way of assessing dogs is ridiculous, but it's still up to them.
    I may not agree with them but as the owner of a bull breed I accept that whether I like it or not, many people have a certain reaction to my dog and businesses react accordingly. If it bothered me that much, I wouldn't have bull terriers.
    (Bull terriers are banned in Germany as well, apparently.)

And facebook is a bit prone to hysterical overreactions at the best of times. Calling it financial suicide is a bit strong. I never check facebook pages before visiting anywhere, and nor do most people I know so the "row" will probably go over a lot of people's heads anyway.

Then again, I'm one of the people who go on holiday to get away from my PITA dog, so I'd probably avoid a campsite full of dogs anyway. :rotfl:
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    TBH it doesn't sound a bundle of laughs to start with - they have a 'blanket ban on electronic / car stereos' as well!

Although surely they don't expect people to actually physically remove the stereo from their cars ????
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Not sure how they arrived at their list of banned dogs. Rotweillers, although having a bad reputation, are often the softest soppiest dogs going. Boxers, although I am not keen on them, also tend to be pretty soppy dogs.

Any dog can bite. I bet they wouldn't dream of banning Labradors and yet I know a few dogs attacked by one (my previous dog was) and a few people bitten by one
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • lisawood78
    lisawood78 Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Options
    Never yet found a site that openly bans my breed, but many are mysteriously full or unavailable when we enquire! Grrrrr
    2 angels in heaven :A
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lisawood78 wrote: »
    Never yet found a site that openly bans my breed, but many are mysteriously full or unavailable when we enquire! Grrrrr

Do you volunteer the info? I've never been asked what breed mine are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure