Shifting bank accounts

Options
Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
A quick question husband want to shift bank accounts to first direct from HSBC, can he still keep his joint account with me at HSBC and just move his personal to get the switch offer and savings rate it will he have to break all ties with HSBC? We will be looking at getting a mortgage at the back end of the year and has held the HSBC account in good order for 10+ year's which I gather helps.

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    tori.k wrote: »
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
    A quick question husband want to shift bank accounts to first direct from HSBC, can he still keep his joint account with me at HSBC and just move his personal to get the switch offer and savings rate it will he have to break all ties with HSBC? We will be looking at getting a mortgage at the back end of the year and has held the HSBC account in good order for 10+ year's which I gather helps.

Yes, he can do that.

The only account which will be switched is the one he nominates.

Having a long held, well run bank account, will indeed be seen in a positive light by potential mortgage lenders.

As you mentioned a mortgage, if either or both of you are first time buyers, are you using Help to Buy or LISA?
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    He is a first time buyer, but we are coming to the party late to old to take advantage of the help to buy/Lisa, so looking to max out high interest savings options to hold savings & the deposit.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    tori.k wrote: »
    He is a first time buyer, but we are coming to the party late to old to take advantage of the help to buy/Lisa, so looking to max out high interest savings options to hold savings & the deposit.
    There's no such thing as too old for a HTB ISA - the LISA has an upper age limit of 39 but HTB is open to anyone from 16.
  • tori.k
    edited 14 June 2017 at 1:43PM
    Options
    I thought you had to be under 40 for a help to buy? Both my lads have help to buy but was wondering if it would be better to shift them over to Lisa, both are saving but not seriously.
    Just checked he can many thanks esbanker you just made us a few quid :)
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    First Direct is HSBC; just a different marketing brand.

See the footer "first direct is a division of HSBC Bank plc"

https://www.newsroom.firstdirect.com/press/release/first_direct_turns_21_-_21_fac
  • tori.k
    Options
    I know they are a sister bank but as far as I'm aware he can still get the incentives if he switched.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure