Stocks and Shares ISA

Options
I am looking to invest approximately £150k in a S&S ISA. I don't need advice necessarily and want a "portfolio" type product with a medium to high risk. Basically looking to put my money in and leaving it for a few years.

I have found a product with Brewin Dolphin with annual charge of 0.7% and up to 0.16% depending on portfolio chosen. This seems high - does anybody know of any other providers with lower charges or is this a reasonable level of charges?

Thanks.

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First problem. You can only put £20k in a S&S ISA. Advice might be worthwhile if it avoids a costly mistake
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • CaptainWales
    Options
    I am looking to transfer my cash ISA into S&S. I have £150k in cash isa.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options

For that sort of amount an ISA that charges a fixed platform fee would be cheaper as per the following example.

http://www.alliancetrustsavings.co.uk/isa/isa-charges-and-fees/
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bear in mind if you transfer it all into the one platform or invest it all within the one fund house you are only protected up to £50k under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.

When you say you want a portfolio type product, do you mean one fund such as a global diversified multi asset fund? If so they are plenty of threads on this Forum that it would be worth reading regarding that type of fund.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Audaxer wrote: »
    Bear in mind if you transfer it all into the one platform or invest it all within the one fund house you are only protected up to £50k under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.

When you say you want a portfolio type product, do you mean one fund such as a global diversified multi asset fund? If so they are plenty of threads on this Forum that it would be worth reading regarding that type of fund.

In reality there is little risk in putting over £50k in a single ISA platform, as you are only going to need to be bailed out in the event of outright fraud. If the platform goes bust the assets you hold in it are still there.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Brewin Dolphin

are a discretionary investment management service. is there any reason you were looking at that investment style and not the others?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Brewin Dolphin.......how do they come up with these names. I see they've been extracting money form the British public since 1762. Seriously, do you really need to pay their 1.3% minimum fee. For 150k educate yourself and use one of the low cost platforms that offer ISAs.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]So Brewin Dolphin are going to charge you £1,050 pa plus fund fees.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What about iweb who charge a one off £25 then £5 a trade.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Or Halifax, a fixed £12.50pa then deal for as little as £1.50 if you use a one off regular investment.[/FONT]
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Brewin Dolphin.......how do they come up with these names.

250 years of history. Nothing wrong with their name. Better than some of the modern meaningless names that are conjured up nowadays.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • CaptainWales
    Options
    I like the idea of investing ina product rather than individual shares. So instead of holding different shares I would have a medium / high risk package. Im open to suggestions, main priority is not to have so much in cash. I have limited free time so dnt to actively buy and sell shares.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure