Poll Results: How much have you saved/gained from this site?

Options
13»

Comments

• Former_MSE_Lawrence
    Options
    Poll Started: 30 Oct 2007

How much have you saved/gained by using MoneySavingExpert.com? Poll results:

After being attacked at the weekend, to celebrate the return of the site I want to try and find out the total impact people’ve had from MoneySavingExpert.com. Whether it's saving money, reclaiming, cutting costs.

How much have you saved/gained in total?

A. Under £50 6% (167 votes)
    B. £51 - £150 11% (302 votes)
    C. £151 to £300 12% (345 votes)
    D. £301 to £600 14% (388 votes)
    E. £601 to £1,000 13% (369 votes)
    F. £1,001 to £2,000 13% (372 votes)
    G. £2,001 to £5,000 11% (322 votes)
    H. £5,001 to £10,000 3% (93 votes)
    I. Over £10,000 2% (66 votes)
    J. I’m a newbie not started yet 16% (456 votes)

Pls tell your story in the How much have you saved board of the forum, especially if you’ve made big savings.

Voting has now ended, but you can still click reply to discuss below.

threadbanner.gif
  • ThrobsBlackHat
    Options
    rumblytum wrote: »
    Like others, I find it impossible to quantify.

I have found a new way of life here, so the savings add up every day, every week, every month, every year for the rest of my life.

How do I save thee? Let me count the ways.

1. I have almost completely paid off our debts - just one loan left.
    2. I shop around for all our insurances.
    3. I do not pay PPI - and indeed successfully claimed back a refund on my DH's loan, as he is self-employed and wasn't covered.
    4. I only have one credit card, which is paid off in full each month, and is a cashback card.
    5. I regularly check my utilities and switch supplier where appropriate.
    6. I use the Call checker for calling mobiles and calling abroad.
    7. I switched bank accounts to a higher interest earning one.
    8. I paid savings into an ISA, having shopped around for a good one.
    9. I use savings 'pots' for car tax, clothing, gifts budgets, etc etc.
    10. I have and live within a budget and my means.
    11. I take my own lunches to work.
    12. I cook from scratch.
    13. I look around for good deals on anything I buy.
    14. I have simplified my cleaning products.
    15. I shopped around for a decent interest bearing savings account.
    16. I started to plan for my retirement.
    17. I saved a decent amount for a house deposit (19.5%) and shopped around for a decent mortgage.
    18. I question the value of everything I am about to purchase.
    19. I have made money on Ebay and Amazon decluttering my house.
    20. I have been given the tools to be financially knowledgable, and most importantly am now able to pass this knowledge on to my DD.

20 seemed a good number to stop at, but I can think of many, many more ways in which this site saves me money....shopping at Lidl, using Discount codes/vouchers... etc etc.

How can this possibly be quantified?

rumbly xxx

I can tick 1,2,4,5,6,9,10,11,12,13,14,16,17,18,19 and 20.

But I have to add nearly £500 back from pigsback, over £1000 from Quidco and a power shower, two bookcases, two wardrobes, a guest bed, one and a half flights to Lanzarote, 2 weeks car rental in France, 2 weeks airport parking, one Eurotunnel trip by car and a slap up meal for 4 in Cafe Rouge and Bella Pasta for FREE using Tesco deals.
  • fairytooth
    Options
    Like so many others I saved hundreds and probably thousands too.

Martin has done more for us than any prime minister and I think he should be knighted for his work!

I can only agree that it is not just the actual money saved but the way Martin's approach and ethos has changed my whole lifestyle which is now dedicated to not being ripped off anymore. Thank you so much.
  • ThrobsBlackHat
    Options
    fairytooth wrote: »
    I can only agree that it is not just the actual money saved but the way Martin's approach and ethos has changed my whole lifestyle which is now dedicated to not being ripped off anymore. Thank you so much.

That is an excellent point. It is a culture change, a lifestyle choice as much as anything else.

It is not choosing one company over another, it is making them all work for us for a change.
  • busabus
    busabus Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    I'd agree with the majority of the comments here, MSE has changed the way I think about money that will stay with me for the rest of my life, it's priceless.
  • Bungarm2001
    Options
    Can't begin to estimate how much this website has saved me...well over £250 alone in reclaimed MEAF's and fairly regular income now from survey sites, cash back sites like Quidco etc PLUS all the good advice and tips about making money go further by spending wisely on food and other essentials. Seems weird, but since I have been visiting this site, other odd bits of money have come my way, like the refund I had from a SOLICITOR of all things who acted on my behalf in a re-mortgage I had a couple of years ago!

Other things that this site has helped me with is recycling and water saving. Can't put a price on these particular things but the savings for the environment, well, MY immediate environment anyway, have been huge.

Keep up the good work Martin and all you veteran MSE'ers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure