Nhs interview advice

Options
raiiiraiii
raiiiraiii Posts: 15 Forumite
Hi,

I'm 17 years of age and a 6th form student -currently studying science A Levels.

I have recently received an offer to come to an interview for the position of a medical records administer at a local NHS hospital. The interview is on the 21/07 (next friday).

It's my first ever formal interview which would take place face-to-face (I've had other interviews via video conferencing).

I'm pretty nervous -is there any advice which you could give me?

What type of questions will I be asked?
What will happen on the day?

I've had lots of previous NHS experience under well-known senior consultants and their teams (2 clinical placements and 1 administrative placement).

I've been offered jobs and interviews of different job sectors, however, this is a position which I would really love to take up. I really want the job!

I've also been placed on a reserve candidate interview list for another role within the NHS which deals with blood donation. Could someone explain what this means in a bit of detail?

All advice and tips welcome.
Thanks

Comments

• keithdc
    keithdc Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There is likely to be a question about safeguarding- find out what it is before the interview, and get an idea what you might be expected to do.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Read back old BBC news articles about the NHS. That might tell you what they feel is important.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    You might also like to find a basic introduction to the Data Protection Act, and at least find out what this is.

And if you want to really dazzle (and be a LOT more impressive than I was at an interview this week), you could throw in a reference to the GDPR, which is coming soon!!!!!
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They are likely to ask about the trusts "core values" which will be on their website
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it's a competency based interview, expect questions relating to the core criteria.
    Are you familiar with the STAR technique?
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/careers/careers-blog/star-technique-competency-based-interview
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The last couple of NHS interviews I went to were mainly the 'give me an example of....' type of questions.

Read through the person spec and think about times you've demonstrated what they're looking for, be prepared with examples to throw in. Also maybe think about issues facing the NHS at the moment. Also time management, organisation, attention to detail... stuff like that.

Agree with the above about reading up on data protection generally so you can talk about the importance of confidentiality - I'd be very surprised if they didn't ask you about that. Mentioning GDPR was a good idea above too, shows you've done your homework and you're interested.

Good luck!
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't worry too much, being yourself is most important than anything else. They won't expect you to know everything, they know you're 17. What they will expect is common sense, some understanding of when to take initiative and when to report to your boss, organisational skills, friendliness and enthuasiasm.

As stated above, the best way to prepare is to consider your experiences (work, but also at school and in your personal life) that you can use as example of you've applied different skills.

If you can show understanding of data protection, it would be a plus, not in reciting all the rules, but being able to show an understanding of why it is important and the consequences of not following the hospital policy.

Is this a FT job or will you do it alongside your A levels?
  • raiiiraiii
    Options
    It's a job which I will do alongside my A Levels.

Thanks for all your replies!
  • Threebabes
    Threebabes Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HI

My best piece of advice would be getting in touch with the person named on the vacancy online. Ask if you can call in for a chat about the role, even if its just a 5 - 10 minute chat, they will remember you when it comes to interview day.

I did this and got the job. Someone else I know did this and got the job. It looks like you are making an effort.

The questions vary a lot. Just use common sense.

Its a while since Ive done an interview but i would suggest the caldicott guidelines, safeguarding, have you implemented a system in the work place/school and how did it work out, have you came across any conflict at work and how did you deal with it. Privacy, how you would not leave medical records unattended. I used to pull medical records for audit and when I transported the records around hospital I always ensured that any patient identifiable information was not visible etc.
  • raiiiraiii
    Options
    Threebabes wrote: »
    HI

My best piece of advice would be getting in touch with the person named on the vacancy online. Ask if you can call in for a chat about the role, even if its just a 5 - 10 minute chat, they will remember you when it comes to interview day.

I did this and got the job. Someone else I know did this and got the job. It looks like you are making an effort.

The questions vary a lot. Just use common sense.

Its a while since Ive done an interview but i would suggest the caldicott guidelines, safeguarding, have you implemented a system in the work place/school and how did it work out, have you came across any conflict at work and how did you deal with it. Privacy, how you would not leave medical records unattended. I used to pull medical records for audit and when I transported the records around hospital I always ensured that any patient identifiable information was not visible etc.

I was actually thinking of doing this as I have also recieved this piece of advice from elsewhere. The problem is that even if I was to get in touch regarding the role which I am applying for, what questions would I ask? What would I talk about? Advice?

Thanks for your reply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport