virgin media, old to new customer rule ????

Options
I recently gave virmin media the 30 day notice to close my account as they wouldn't offer me the same deal in an upgrade as what a new customer would get.... i had various calls but i told them i couldn't talk till after 5pm due to work constraints but yet they still tried to call every day for a week before 5pm???.... eventually i spoke to someone and was told that i would not be able to join as a new customer (if i chose to) untill 30 DAYS AFTER my service had ended??? now a previous person had stated 8 WEEKS ?? strangely enough which makes me think this rule is a load of codswollop !!! i cant find anything in the T&C's regarding this..... any ideas or anyone else heard of this.... interested as i can get £125 cashback through quidco and £85pm which is still cheaper than the £108pm VM offered as a Super Loyal Customer upgrade lol!!!.... i just dont understand why we have to play these games with these companys

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm certain you won't be eligible for "new customer" deals for far longer than a month OR eight weeks.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know the answer but I suspect it will depend how desperate the sales rep is to meet their target at the time of your call.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    I don't know the answer but I suspect it will depend how desperate the sales rep is to meet their target at the time of your call.

Indeed. Looking at the VM users forum, it looks like three months, but some seem to have rejoined in a lot less than that!
  • quandoe
    quandoe Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    i don't understand legally how if you've left a service in the correct manner as per their t&c's... then if you take out a new service maybe a week later or so via their website they can apply a restriction. if you've left you've left??..... i can get a similar deal through sky so its not really an issue apart from the instalation but its the principle of it that bothers me.... i am sick to death of being treated like existing customers are second class by these companies.... seems a way of life now to change yr insurance, change yr gas/electricity, change yr pants every day..... when does it ever end !!!!!
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,970 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unless they discriminate on a protected characteristic, they are not obliged to sell to anyone. Legally they can define a new customer how they want and that does not need to be consistent.

Unfortunately all these new customer deals are the consequence of sites like MSE encouraging the manic swtichers that change everything at the drop of a hat to save 2p/week.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • quandoe
    quandoe Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately all these new customer deals are the consequence of sites like MSE encouraging the manic swtichers that change everything at the drop of a hat to save 2p/week.

dont think thats fair really.... if companies treated customers on a one class system instead of discriminating new against old, offering the same deals for the same products in return for to signed 12/18 month contract clear as day then these sites certainly wouldn't exist except for quality of service they supply..... prices wouldn't come into it
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    quandoe wrote: »
    dont think thats fair really.... if companies treated customers on a one class system instead of discriminating new against old, offering the same deals for the same products in return for to signed 12/18 month contract clear as day then these sites certainly wouldn't exist except for quality of service they supply..... prices wouldn't come into it
    They'd also struggle to sign up brand new customers, of course!

It's very "fair" by the way, you will have already had a new customer deal back when you were a genuine new customer.

It's a nonsense to expect existing customers to be automatically charged as new customers. You are demanding an incentive to join when you've already joined!
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just cancel, then sign up again in your partners name.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    rtho782 wrote: »
    Just cancel, then sign up again in your partners name.
    Virgin are certain to be unaware that the same address is being reactivated, especially if the partner has the same surname!
  • duggan1
    duggan1 Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I called up to cancel as well (on full package, sport, movies, HD etc). Chap I spoke to was very nice and gave me a good deal with about 20% off what I was paying. Worked out better than what it would have cost me with sky etc so I'm happy enough.

Oh and 'virmin' media, really?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport