Student Credit Cards

Options
I've got a Barclaycard Student card and a Capital One basic C/card.

Does anyone else do specific cards just for students as my credit rating, whilst not utterly crap, is just so-so and it appears some lenders shy from giving money to mature students/single mothers living in council houses, with no income for the next few years??

Got my Experian Credit report and there's no bad stuff on there just a low income which has brought my score right down.

TIA
Noli nothis permittere te terere
Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
[STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

Comments

• ohit
    ohit Posts: 370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do you really need the Capital One card?

Close it and it'll show up as "settled" on your credit file. Looks very good when applying for credit elsewhere.

HTH.
  • lellie
    lellie Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Options
    HSBC do a credit card with their student/graduate account.. It's a mastercard but if I remember rightly you used get 0% for quite a while.. not sure if it is still like that..
  • ohit
    ohit Posts: 370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I suspect it's just the same thing, but they use your student account as a mean of marketing it out.
  • hitmann
    Options
    I'm considering applying for a credit card. What is the best one for a student?
    Also, I'm quite new to this stuff, what do they mean by x.xx% on balance transfers?
  • halcyon_drift
    Options
    what your basically looking for is 0% on balance transfers. what this means is that you are able to use your credit card to pay off other cards (or into an account, depending on the credit card company). as long as you stay within your credit limit, you will be charged 0% on this balance tranfer, requiring only minimum monthly repayments on the balance.

i guess what your really asking is how are ppl making free money out of 0% balance transfers. this really applies to the CC which allow you to BT to an account, where the balance can earn you interest. to be perfectly honest, if you are a student, it is maybe more hassle than it is worth, as your credit limit will be not very high. then again, this is MoneySaving and i would never discourage you against making a few quid.

if you have any more questions about BT's, or need me to fill in any gaps, i would be more than willing to help. alternatively, have a look around martins website, he written a few things about BT and probally explained alot better than me.

Halcyon
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure