No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries April 2017

Options

Comments

• dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have an in

Woods of Windsor Pomegranate & Hibiscus EDT 100ml - this was on the clearance shelf in Boots for £5 and they had a tester out, it is lovely and lasted a long time.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • sunny_money
    sunny_money Posts: 361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to the MSE Forum and found this thread. What a great idea!

When I decided to make the move to the UK a few years ago, I realised how many toiletries, perfumes etc I had accumulated. I was constantly in pursuit of the perfect product; it had to tick every box and be amazing or I would soon find an excuse to try another brand. I tried to transition to more natural brands with mixed success and loads spent. I tried to give some away to family and friends but surprisingly they weren't that interested, considering the variety and quality I was offering. I put the rest in storage. When I moved it was like a licence to go crazy and build my stash from scratch. On my return visit to storage over a year later I had to throw most of it away because it had gone bad, leaked or broken. What an absolute waste! The feeling of regret and guilt.. I took a small bundle of things back with me. Now I am married (Mrs and Mrs) and need to save money to buy a house, and I have definitely made a big improvement reducing my purchases (but also reducing my use as I seem to have gotten a bit lazy 'keeping up appearances' eek!), so this is the perfect time to manage this!

I think there is a bit of shame around this as people tend to think its quite self indulgent and a waste of time and money; which it is, but I think it stems from a need to be distracted, for 'me time', to help manage our insecurities, the novelty of buying something new, and being able to review it with others (I love a good review! :-p).

I am going to start a stock take and project plan this long weekend because my OH is working most of it. When I start using things up, I want to try some cheaper brands,and will probably ask for advice! :-D
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I UU'ed a hand cream yesterday. I keep them in my drawer at work as the soap we have in toilets is too harsh usually. I replaced it with another one from the stash.

I had my last session of the Dermalux yesterday and my skin is better than ever. Looks and feels younger.

I have few splutterers so hoping to have some UUs this month.
    ally.
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Options

When I decided to make the move to the UK a few years ago, I realised how many toiletries, perfumes etc I had accumulated. I was constantly in pursuit of the perfect product; it had to tick every box and be amazing or I would soon find an excuse to try another brand. I tried to transition to more natural brands with mixed success and loads spent. I tried to give some away to family and friends but surprisingly they weren't that interested, considering the variety and quality I was offering. I put the rest in storage. When I moved it was like a licence to go crazy and build my stash from scratch. On my return visit to storage over a year later I had to throw most of it away because it had gone bad, leaked or broken. What an absolute waste! The feeling of regret and guilt.. I took a small bundle of things back with me. Now I am married (Mrs and Mrs) and need to save money to buy a house, and I have definitely made a big improvement reducing my purchases (but also reducing my use as I seem to have gotten a bit lazy 'keeping up appearances' eek!), so this is the perfect time to manage this!

I think there is a bit of shame around this as people tend to think its quite self indulgent and a waste of time and money; which it is, but I think it stems from a need to be distracted, for 'me time', to help manage our insecurities, the novelty of buying something new, and being able to review it with others (I love a good review! :-p).

I am going to start a stock take and project plan this long weekend because my OH is working most of it. When I start using things up, I want to try some cheaper brands,and will probably ask for advice! :-D

Welcome to the thread sunny money. Can relate to the trying out and discarding. I used to have an addiction to TV shopping for beauty items. It's good though to take stock of what you have and try to learn which products suit you. There's always loads of great tips on here.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Options
    Went to LUSH today and replaced my two UUed items. Also bought a bath bomb and the carrots bubble bars for Emma. Traded in 5 pots for a cupcake mask. Nothing else bought.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have too many INs. Oops! I'd been so good with the Lush Kitchen recently and then this happened!
    3-4. Lush Kitchen In The Nude Bath Oil x2
    5-7. Lush Kitchen Rose Bubble Bar x3
    8. Lush Kitchen Down the Rabbit Hole Bubble Bar - this is huge! I think I could get 5 baths out of it!
    9. Asda Bamboo and Blossom Candle - had some tealights of this scent and decided to get the proper candle.
    10. Superdrug Simply Pure Hydrating Serum - I had UUd this recently and have been trying to use other moisturisers instead but my makeup doesn't go on as nicely afterwards and even if they're thicker than this, they don't seem to moisturise as well. I suppose this is on it's way to being a HG! I think this might be my 5th one.

Few UUs but not enough to balance the damage of the above!
    3. Head and Shoulders Itchy Scalp Shampoo WMBA. It's ok. It does soothe my itchy (not dandruffy) scalp but I swear I get immune to these type of shampoos so I have to rotate them.
    4. Schwarzopf Essence Biotin Volume Conditioner WNBA. It's decent enough but for my hair a 250ml bottle did just 3 washes! not very MSE!
    5. Superdug B. Micellar Wipes. WDBA. Very good and normally on some sort of offer.

Struggling a bit not to buy this month. I think partly because - still - feel a bit down but also because I've been keeping a spending diary and I think I'm subconsciously rebelling against it! Does anyone else do that?

Hope everyone's keeping ok; will try and catch up on the thread. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 261 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 April 2017 at 5:59PM
    Options

Hello sunny_money! Welcome! Sounds like you've come to the right place!
    I definitely agree that for some people there is a shame around spending on this type of thing and I do feel it sometimes. If I buy something a bit expensive like a posher candle than normal (I count my scented candles in this challenge as they are also a problem area for me!) I feel like I have to justify it to whoever I'm with. Also the people who might say it's a waste or it's self-indulgent probably spend their money on something we would say is self-indulgent and wasteful too. We just happen to like toiletries and makeup and we shouldn't have to justify it!
    I really feel I just need to find a balance rather than stop buying altogether because it really is the main thing I enjoy spending money on. If I limit myself too much - like a shopping ban - I know it won't work and I'll go completely in the other direction - much like with crash diets.
    I know I'm never going to have a minimalist makeup collection, nor do I want it to be like that, but I do a lot less impulse buying of makeup now and make sure I try and find reviews first or go and swatch in store to make sure it's really suitable for me.

I think doing a stock take is a really good idea as it allows you to see where your "problem areas" might be and remind you what you've actually got so you don't end up buying replacements unnecessarily.

Good luck and make sure you keep us updated! :)
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    VALM wrote: »
    Which Illuminator did you get? I have both Ballerina and Gilded Hiney. I can use them both all over as they are subtle on my skin tone. I haven't made a dent in either. Do prefer to use Gilded Honey as an eyeshadow.

Gilded Honey, Val. Thanks for that, perhaps it's not as wasteful as I thought, after all.
    I'd agree with the eyeshadow suggestion.
    The 3D swirl pattern is so pretty that I've been trying to use it from the outer edge, so as not to spoil it! :D
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • sunny_money
    sunny_money Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks VALM. I have never bought from TV shopping, it looks enticing but I always thought it looked too good to be true.. were the products good?
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Thanks VALM. I have never bought from TV shopping, it looks enticing but I always thought it looked too good to be true.. were the products good?

Welcome Sunny Money.

My sister in law has been addicted to years to TV shopping, She sticks to premium brands like Gatineau and Liz Earle and it's my guess that she wouldn't continue doing it if the products were not good. :D

It does make her fairly easy, if a trifle expensive, to buy for at Christmas and birthdays.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure