Blue badge

Options
Hi.
Hope everyone is doing ok.
Just a quick question.
My blue badge expires tomorrow, 10th feb.
Can I use it up to midnight tonight or could I use it up to midnight tomorrow? I would like to use it tommorrow ideally.
Not sure if it's going to be renewed,, my mobility claim might be stopped due to PIP but it's gone to tribunal
X

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi.
    Hope everyone is doing ok.
    Just a quick question.
    My blue badge expires tomorrow, 10th feb.
    Can I use it up to midnight tonight or could I use it up to midnight tomorrow? I would like to use it tommorrow ideally.
    Not sure if it's going to be renewed,, my mobility claim might be stopped due to PIP but it's gone to tribunal
    X
    You can use it up until Midnight on 10th Feb. If you don't have an award of at least 8 points in the moving around part of PIP then it's not an automatic renewal. Getting it renewed would depend on the criteria by your local council.
  • bunglebear0
    Options
    Thank you for your reply Poppy.
    I don't know what I'll do if my claim isn't allowed, I do rely on the blue badge quite a lot. I was on higher mobility and higher care, after the PIP assessment I'm put to the lowest care and no mobility payment. I asked for it to be looked at again and it came back that they agreed with the 1st decision so I've asked for it to go to tribunal.
    Do you know if I need to attend that? I'm agoraphobic and really struggle to get out, so I'm dreading if I need to attend
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can get a blue badge with out pip. did you send back your renewal form for the blue badge?
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    I was on higher mobility and higher care, after the PIP assessment I'm put to the lowest care and no mobility payment. I asked for it to be looked at again and it came back that they agreed with the 1st decision

Not surprising, that this has happened. From memory I understand that approx. 25% of those being transferred from DLA to PIP will not get a PIP award as the conditions of entitlement have changed.
    This is all down to the cut that was calculated to reduce the amount being spent on DLA by 20%.
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    lemontart wrote: »
    You can get a blue badge with out pip. did you send back your renewal form for the blue badge?
    I agree that that is possible but if someone has now been found to be able to walk more than 50 metres how would the council view that decision when they claim that they are virtually unable to walk on the BB application form?
    Isn't it a contradiction?

Or do they keep quiet about the PIP decision in the hope that the council don't ask?
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I applied for a blue badge, 2 years ago and was first rejected (without even being seen) because I was not receiving DLA mobility - I appealed and was asked to attend an assessment - this time I was sucessful - despite not receiving any mobility - I was give a badge !
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree that that is possible but if someone has now been found to be able to walk more than 50 metres how would the council view that decision when they claim that they are virtually unable to walk on the BB application form?
    Isn't it a contradiction?

Or do they keep quiet about the PIP decision in the hope that the council don't ask?

the dwp are very good at claiming the opposite, I lost pip at renewal and was still able to get a renewal on my blue badge, - now got pip back after taking dwp to tribunal
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    lemontart wrote: »
    the dwp are very good at claiming the opposite, I lost pip at renewal and was still able to get a renewal on my blue badge, - now got pip back after taking dwp to tribunal

I was in the belief that both the independent assessment for a Blue Badge for those without the requisite DLA/PIP award AND the mobility assessment for DLA/PIP were broadly exactly/very similar in design?

If you have been found to be able to get around for 50 metres + under PIP/DLA then surely
    that cannot be said to be the same as virtually not able to walk for the BB independent claim.

It would be most interesting to see what would happen if you sent a copy of the PIP decision notice along with the BB application form and wanted a moving around assessment to be carried out for you by the council. Would they refuse the application simply because of the PIP decision?
    Likewise are you under any obligation to tell the council that you have lost/not been granted the mobility section of PIP/DLA whilst still holding the BB - change of circumstances?
  • WelshTiger72
    Options
    I only finally got a blue badge in April last year as I had started to drive, but when DLA ended I returned it back to the council untill my tribunal for PIP gives me an answer.
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    I only finally got a blue badge in April last year as I had started to drive, but when DLA ended I returned it back to the council untill my tribunal for PIP gives me an answer.
    Thanks, that's good to know. I don't want to be guilty of using the badge when they stop my DLA after failing the PIP assessment.
    Otherwise as the badges are for three years and say you lose your mobility DLA or PIP a few days after getting you badge the alternative would be that you would get nearly 3 years of use without having to prove a thing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure