The Fair Trade Practice PPI Rip Off

Hi
I'm new to this site so thanks in advance for any help given.
My pensioner mother has used the Fair Trade Practice to reclaim her PPI from Capital One. She was informed by email and also by letter that Capital One had agreed a compensation amount of £829.82 however attached to the letter was a cheque for only £296.58 along with an invoice from TFTP for £248.95 which was their 25% cut of £829.82 so in effect she'll only be receiving less than £50?

She has contacted Fair Trade to find out why the cheque is over £500 less than stated/expected but has just been fobbed off by them saying it was probably taxed and some charges were deducted and she needs to take matter up with Capital One.
Obviously she is very confused and distressed so I just wondered if anyone had had a similar experience, or could advise on whether this seems correct and whether this is legitimate or not for them to charged their 25% fee on a figure she hasn't received?
Cheers

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Did she perhaps have some money written off or unpaid on the credit card?

Unfortunately PPI companies will charge their fee on the full amount before anything is used to offset unpaid debts
  • Send an e-mail to ENQUIRIES@THEFAIRTRADEPRACTICE.CO.UK with a copy to consumer@claimsregulation.gov.uk

Head the e-mail FORMAL COMPLAINT - ageement reference (your account number or whatever other reference they use).

I refer to my contact with you n [date] when I expressed dissatifaction that that you have submitted an invoice for £248.45 along with a payment for £296.58 after Capital One agreed to redress of £829.82. As per our contract, you are entitled to a 25% fee on which VAT is payable at 20% of 25%, giving a total deduction of 30% or £248.95.

However, that leaves a further £580.87.

When I contacted you about this, you could not explain where the missing £284.29 had gone.

Worse, you then said I must contact Capital One myself to find out where it had gone.

I consider it to be your professional responsibility to ensure that the payment received matches the offer from Capital One and to account to me accordingly. You should also employ staff who are competent to address any concerns I may have competently, not to simply fob me off.

I consider it your fault that I have not received my proper entitlemet and your fault that I have been caused further distress because your staff lack the competence to properly address my concerns.

I havee been advised you that your regulator, to whom a copy of this e-mail is being sent, defines a complaint as any oral or verbal expression of dissatisfaction and that you have eight weeks from receipt to respond to it - so that eight weeks began with my previous communication.

I am also told that if you do not send a response which I find satisfactory within eight weeks of that date I may refer your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman at no charge to myself.

I trust you will investigate both my original complaint and the manner in which it was mishandled when I first made it and respond accordingly.
  • Nasqueron wrote: »
    Did she perhaps have some money written off or unpaid on the credit card?

Unfortunately PPI companies will charge their fee on the full amount before anything is used to offset unpaid debts
    I agree with this but that does not excuse the manner in which we are told she was fobbed off.

I just had a look at their website and they use the following as evidence of PPI.

This is indeed evidencec that PPI was charged. However it shows us that it isc part of an mortgage statement - and that the premiums were paid monthly, like the buildings insurance and life assurance premiums.

So this particular piece of evidence would seem more likely to demonstrate that the cover was NOT missold and make a defence relatively easy.

So using that particular example makes me question whether they really know what they are doing.

Proof%20Of%20PPI%204-1-edit-example.png
  • Thanks so much for the comprehensive responses. I'll definitely use the template to contact them as it's appalling how she's been treated. I just wish we'd have made the claim ourselves and at least then she'd have a bit of money to show for it.
  • Let us know how you get on.
  • Will do! Fingers crossed!
  • I decided to use the cancellation form with this company as I had no results apart from one which had dragged on for what I can foresee very little come back,just been informed by phone that I will be fined £250 for cancelling ��
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Debar wrote: »
    I decided to use the cancellation form with this company as I had no results apart from one which had dragged on for what I can foresee very little come back,just been informed by phone that I will be fined £250 for cancelling ��

It is not a fine. It is a fee you agreed to pay them should you end their services early. Basically covering work done so far.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure