Senses Club - Same-sex relationship discrimination

Options
I just registered for Senses Club (for women only). I was very disappointed that when I selected 'Married' that the next screen referenced my husband.

Wikipedia: 'The legislation to allow same-sex marriage in England and Wales was passed by the Parliament of the United Kingdom in July 2013 and came into force on 13 March 2014, and the first same-sex marriages took place on 29 March 2014.'

I don't feel very confident to volunteer with Senses Club because they are either discriminatory or incompetent.

I have emailed them for a response, and hope the Money Saving Forum staff can do the same because you promote them.

Comments

• mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think the fact it is for women only, is more of a discriminatory outrage than an oversight on the married option.
  • sunny_money
    sunny_money Posts: 361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mrcol1000 yes 2 forms of discrimination!
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,948 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 April 2017 at 6:18AM
    Options
    You haven't missed out to be honest, Its not worth registering with them since they stopped the free perfume.

It used to be great with good incentives and a big bottle of posh perfume every year, then it went to every 2 years and then when it changed from Givuadan to Senses it stopped all together.

I am lucky if I get an Amazon voucher a year now.

I dont think they mean to upset, I just think that they are behind the times more than being discriminate.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sunny_money
    sunny_money Posts: 361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the review of Senses Club. Sounds like it's not worth doing.

Reasons along the lines of 'you should be more concerned about X', 'it's just an oversight' and 'they are just behind the times' are deflecting from the problem and unhelpful. When something is law companies are responsible for reflecting the law in their communications. They are collecting personal information, relationship status, and then not responding appropriately. On the other hand if they have neglected to review their registration survey in the last 3 years that's pretty poor, competent companies would revise their content annually.

Anyway I'll post an update if I receive a response from them.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    I just registered for Senses Club (for women only). I was very disappointed that when I selected 'Married' that the next screen referenced my husband.

Wikipedia: 'The legislation to allow same-sex marriage in England and Wales was passed by the Parliament of the United Kingdom in July 2013 and came into force on 13 March 2014, and the first same-sex marriages took place on 29 March 2014.'

I don't feel very confident to volunteer with Senses Club because they are either discriminatory or incompetent.

I have emailed them for a response, and hope the Money Saving Forum staff can do the same because you promote them.
    Its very much likely just an oversight...not something to get het up over
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • jonmoneybags
    Options
    some people just like to be upset about something
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,625 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

You keep using the word 'discrimination'. In what way is it discriminating? Is what you receive from the club dependent on your sexuality, or what you type into the box?

It may be badly worded, but it's not discrimination.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It is a French company and website so I don't know why it is relevant to quote when same sex marriage came into force in the UK.

Same sex marriage is also legal in France now but perhaps legislation around the issue is different. Either way deciding to not sign up for something purely because they assume your married partner is a man seems unnecessarily pedantic.

It is these sort of examples where people get on their high horse about minor issues that leads to real discrimination being overlooked. People get so tired of imaginary slights that they don't bother focusing on things that really matter.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Probably best you don't then.

Hope that helps.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2017 at 8:22PM
    Options

Given that the website is French, wouldn't it be better to quote the legislation surrounding same-sex marriage in FRANCE instead?!

In fact, assuming I'm looking at the correct website they also have a German flag right next to the French and British one....

Could we not instead talk about Germany's view on same-sex marriage? ;)

Funny how people (or websites?) make the occasional oversight ;) I would consider throwing in the word xenophobic, particularly as us Brits have this odd habit of thinking that the whole world revolves around us, but I think that would be a tad inaccurate and unfair.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure