frustrated ex scottish power customer

Options
Hi I'm new to this but hoping someone with some knowledge can help me. ill try and keep this as brief as possible.

me and my partner purchased our property in aug 2015, it was supplied by Scottish power for both gas and electric on pre-payment meters. As the property needed extensive refurbishment we continued to use the prepayment meters until we moved in, so in January 2017 we requested for both meters to be changed. Aparently this isn't as easy as you would expect... after multiple missed appointments (some of which were 'do not miss') and complaints raised they were finally changed :T but due to the stress and awful customer services we decided to change suppliers to Eon. since then we have received multiple bills ranging from £147 in debit to £243 in credit. whenever we speak to Scottish power they cannot explain what the bills are for or which amount we owe. we are now receiving final demand letters to 'owner/occupier' and have tried to speak to Scottish power but as neither of our names are 'owner/occupier' they won't discuss it with us. we are currently awaiting a deadlock letter (the 2nd we have requested) so we can seek advice from the ombudsman but wondered in anyone else out there can help... any idea where we stand???

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi I'm new to this but hoping someone with some knowledge can help me. ill try and keep this as brief as possible.

me and my partner purchased our property in aug 2015, it was supplied by Scottish power for both gas and electric on pre-payment meters. As the property needed extensive refurbishment we continued to use the prepayment meters until we moved in, so in January 2017 we requested for both meters to be changed. Aparently this isn't as easy as you would expect... after multiple missed appointments (some of which were 'do not miss') and complaints raised they were finally changed :T but due to the stress and awful customer services we decided to change suppliers to Eon. since then we have received multiple bills ranging from £147 in debit to £243 in credit. whenever we speak to Scottish power they cannot explain what the bills are for or which amount we owe. we are now receiving final demand letters to 'owner/occupier' and have tried to speak to Scottish power but as neither of our names are 'owner/occupier' they won't discuss it with us. we are currently awaiting a deadlock letter (the 2nd we have requested) so we can seek advice from the ombudsman but wondered in anyone else out there can help... any idea where we stand???

Hello walters2610 and welcome to the Forums and E.ON.

Just a quick heads up from our end. As the gaining supplier, it's our responsibility to let the old supplier have the meter readings we start your account from. They'll use the same readings to close their account and issue a final bill. This stops the same energy from being charged twice.

Did you give us meter readings when you switched? As with all switches, these readings go through a third party (Data Collector) who checks they're in line with previous readings held for the property. They'll send them on to both suppliers for use on their respective opening/closing bills. This is done via electronic messages and can sometimes cause a bit of a delay. Once all's done and dusted, make sure these opening/closing readings match.

Good to have you on board walters2610 and hope this helps.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • walters2610
    Options
    Hi Malc,
    Yes we gave meter readings and the ones Scottish power are using are correct, this is not where our issue comes from. I believe our issue stems from the prepayment meters that we had initially.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Options
    When you first ought the property and before you moved in, did you give meter readings to Scottish Power and tell them you had taken over the house? Or did you just use the key/cards to top up without telling Scottish Power you were new customers? Maybe this is why there is confusion over different bills?

It could just be Scottish Power chasing up money owed to them by the previous occupant of the house.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Malc,
    Yes we gave meter readings and the ones Scottish power are using are correct, this is not where our issue comes from. I believe our issue stems from the prepayment meters that we had initially.

Ah! I see walters2610. As the meter readings match, all looks okay from our end. Thanks for letting me know.

Scottish Power have reps on this Forum and I expect they'll be able to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure