MSE News: New app to help consumers dodge scam callers and file complaints

Options
Former_MSE_Ben_S
Former_MSE_Ben_S Posts: 39 Forumite
edited 9 August 2017 at 5:47PM in Phones & TV
A new app has been launched to help consumers avoid scam calls by ranking the numbers with a 'trust score'...
Read the full story:
'New app to help consumers dodge scam callers and file complaints'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any system based on recognising CLI is doomed to failure. The scammers can already change the displayed number at will. Once they learn to change the number after every call, the app will be completely useless.
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Scam calls? My method for dealing with anonymous/unrecognised calls to my mobile:

Phone rings, it's a number I don't recognise or comes up as 'Blocked'. I always ignore it, let it ring out. Usually cuts off after 5 rings anyway before the answer phone kicks in where they'd have to pay for the call.

Search Engine all unrecognised telephone numbers. In lots of cases, you'll find the number has multiple complaints made against it and those people who have been good enough to answer the phone to the scammers are then angry enough to add the Company's details to the list of complaints. Add scam numbers to your 'Blocked' list.

If you don't need it, disable answer phone. WARNING - Only for those who aren't of a nervous disposition and aren't OCD enough to be kept awake at night wondering who it was that tried to call you. I love ignoring people and so I'm not bothered if I don't answer the phone.

Text messages from debt collection agencies quoting a reference number urging me to contact them 'urgently' but don't mention me by name in the text, I ignore and set Do Not Disturb for the number the message was received on and I stop getting message notifications. It effectively 'blocks' scammers texts.

Be aware, some agencies who have no idea who they're calling because they're using an auto dialer or simply have the wrong number, often use multiple numbers and if you think you've blocked them once, think again, they'll just keep calling. I just keep blocking. Personally, I never ever call them back. If they believed that they knew who I was, they'd send me a recorded letter, not some anonymous text. As I don't owe anyone any money for anything, I can sleep at night not worrying about debt collectors calling, chancing their arm that I will fall for their twisted attempts to extort money for fictitious loans.

Turn off 'Read Receipts' for text messages.

Oh, did I say, just don't answer the phone when it rings if the number calling isn't recognised? If someone really wants to get hold of you that badly, they'll send you a text with your name on it and a contact number with their name on it, or they'll leave a legitimate answer phone message. If they claim to be your bank, never call numbers back left on your phone, either by text or answer phone, call the bank direct or go into Branch. If they're claiming to be the police, ask for the callers collar number and workplace then call back via 101 or walk into a police station.....if you can find one that hasn't been shut down due to cuts to the Police Service.

I don't need an APP.....:p
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I sometimes have fun with them and if I feel like it, shout obscenities down the phone for wasting my time. I read somewhere someone actually successfully claimed money for time they wasted and even set up a premium number that charges them for each call made
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • KevinLawry
    Options
    There is already a pre-existing free app - for Android phones at least, which is the limit of my experience, whilst it does not have the built in TPS link it does have call blocking, community ranking and personal white and black list - the full functionality if without subscription, and it has been working very well for me for a number of years. It is called 'Should I Answer'.
  • HoofeHearted
    HoofeHearted Posts: 2,651 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    +1 for 'Should I Answer'

Great free App.
  • ismeval
    ismeval Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sometimes I just feel like peeeing them off ...for instance ...
    Caller 'Hello , I am phoning about the accident you recently had"
    Me ...'which one, was it when I knocked down the dog running in the street, or when I knocked down the owner ....or do you mean when police were called '
    Caller ...'yes, that is the one...what was the exact date'
    Me ...'April 1st'
    Caller ....oh very funny **##*
    Then I block them ....just starts me day with a smile ...
    Val
  • flyingflea
    Options
    Where's the link to download the app??
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    flyingflea wrote: »
    Where's the link to download the app??

If you just type TPS Protect into the search box whether you are using iphone or android, it will appear.

I haven't personally downloaded it because I don't need it, but I did type TPS into the search box and it is there.

As for having a good 'wind up' as other callers do with the rather questionable motives of many of these 'scammers', personally, I wouldn't waste my time and effort even talking to them, even for a laugh. It would be time in my life that I'd never get back and wasting it on phone scammers is an affront to my existence!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure