what are my rights after end on Long term Assignment

Options
Hi,

I'm halfway through a 2 year LTA with the same company, I have been with then for 14 years.

If at the end of 2 year LTA; and I understand that I have no past role to go back to; would I be entitled to:-
  1. nothing.
  2. 2 years at minimum statutory pay off.
  3. 15 years min statutory pay off.
Not entitled to but the company has said they will try to fit you into another position at the end.

Has anyone been through similar.

Age 54 & proud to be a union rep.

Thanks

E

Comments

• marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So what does your union say?
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well the "long term assignment" aspect is irrelevant.

If you have worked for the same company for 15 years and they no longer have work for you then they can lawfully make you redundant. In which case you would be entitled to your notice plus 15 years redundancy pay according to the government formula.

Like the previous poster, where is your Union in this particularly as you are "proud to be a rep"?
  • happyc84
    happyc84 Posts: 324 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, was interested in hearing if anyone has gone though it.

Only recently became a rep so was looking for background info.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations. My advice? Learn fast!

Temporary contacts no longer have the meaning that they used to, long term, short term, or anything in between. In terms of most employment rights, the one thing that matters is the length of continuous service. That is service that is unbroken by any gaps of a week or more between contracts. And the magic number is 2 years. At that point all full redundancy rights kick in, as well as the right to unfair individual claims. That means a lot more than just the right to redundancy pay. It means the right to not be made redundant unless it is unavoidable - so suitable alternative employment, work trials and so on.

As a new rep your union will have a lot of training available. If you haven't been told about this already, ask! You also have the right to time off work for union business, which includes training.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure