Barclays refund cheque

Options
Last week a received a text from Barclays saying " We're sorry due to our error we applied incorrect fees/charges to an account you had with us. we're sending you a cheque in the post along with details explaining why". I assumed it was a scam as i haven't had a Barclays account for years.
However i got home last night and there was a cheque from Barclays, the letter explains that they have identified that they charged some customers too much for their use of overdraft facility and have refunded me £47.27.
The question is do i bank the cheque or could i be owed more? They have not stated how they have worked out the refund or the time period. I am afraid that if i bank the cheque i am accepting their settlement.
would be grateful for any advice ;-)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You bank it.

You're not owed more.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    could i be owed more?
    How do you propose to show that you might be "owed" more? Certainly you can ask the Bank to provide full details of the calculation they used, but (unless you then go through every statement applying that calculation on any overdrafts) I can't see how you could show that they have somehow calculated wrongly.

Look at it this way: Last week you were quite content getting nothing back from Barclays, but this week you have nearly 50 quid.:)
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They've identified a problem that you knew nothing about and rectified it.
    Why would they then try and short-change you?
  • CHlHlRO
    CHlHlRO Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got one of those last year, it was a nice surprise :)

Don't suppose my ex-store card providers will rectify their mis-selling me PPI without me asking first though. Can't believe I've only just found out you can—binned all the paperwork yonks ago!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    CHlHlRO wrote: »
    IDon't suppose my ex-store card providers will rectify their mis-selling me PPI without me asking first though. Can't believe I've only just found out you can—binned all the paperwork yonks ago!
    You can (and always have been able to) complain about anything you've purchased, but you have to provide a valid complaint if you want to be refunded.

Why have you only now realised you have the right to complain?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure