Question re PIP atos assessment

Options

Comments

• PHILANTHROPIST
    PHILANTHROPIST Posts: 410 Forumite
    edited 12 March 2017 at 2:16PM
    Options
    Good attempt at defending the system Neil. You may be right.

Let's simply agree to disagree, and let the thread flow rather than gravitating towards personal attacks.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good attempt at defending the system Neil. You may be right.

Let's simply agree to disagree, and let the thread flow rather than gravitating towards personal attacks.

Fine. No personal attack, there - just interested in real life experience.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 March 2017 at 3:08PM
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    This member of the forum volunteers at an advice agency where we see a lot of PIP applicants. In general, their experiences are good to okay. As evidenced on this forum, of course, they can go wrong - and, on occasions, spectacularly so - for which there really is no excuse - especially with those who are vulnerable and ill
    It is true that people are more likely to only speak up and seek help when the wheels fall off... bad experiences. However... I would strongly caution in three respects if analysing the truth out there. First... when people are happy with awards they will under-report poor quality assessments as many will be oblivious to them along with people who have advised them prior. Second there will be under-reporting of assessments that convey better than expected results - but that may simply infer again poor assessment and they're unlikely to seek advice to downgrade an award. Third... many applicants are pretty clueless about the process or evidence in their case to be blunt.. due to disability itself or for other reasons.. and so will under-report things like breaches of protocol. How many claimants (or their supporters) ask the HCP at assessment if the evidence has been looked at properly for example... in this case they did and in my case I did... but I suspect we are atypical.

I suspect things like failing to properly read the evidence prior to the assessment isn't happening in some cases but as standard... is institutional. The volume of common problems implies not rogue assessors but rogue organisations creating an agenda and environment of efficient processing of second rate human beings. When people are quite open about malpractice it implies wider problems. This is supported by investigative exposure and some leavers from the job. One day someone will pay a heavy price for the negligence beyond the suicide of claimants that will catch public attention and perhaps force examination of typical practices. Fortunately due to my wife and a panic attack it won't be me instigating it for another few years...lol... audio recording captures that I asked my wife outside the assessment centre if I'd killed her (the HCP) and if the police were coming... I got a lot of luck that day throughout the relentless nausea and interference.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • NeilCr
    Options
    It is true that people are more likely to only speak up and seek help when the wheels fall off... bad experiences. However... I would strongly caution in three respects if analysing the truth out there. First... when people are happy with awards they will under-report poor quality assessments as many will be oblivious to them along with people who have advised them prior. Second there will be under-reporting of assessments that convey better than expected results - but that may simply infer again poor assessment and they're unlikely to seek advice to downgrade an award. Third... many applicants are pretty clueless about the process or evidence in their case to be blunt.. due to disability itself or for other reasons.. and so will under-report things like breaches of protocol. How many claimants (or their supporters) ask the HCP at assessment if the evidence has been looked at properly for example... in this case they did and in my case I did... but I suspect we are atypical.

I suspect things like failing to properly read the evidence prior to the assessment isn't happening in some cases but as standard... is institutional. The volume of common problems implies not rogue assessors but rogue organisations creating an agenda and environment of efficient processing of second rate human beings. When people are quite open about malpractice it implies wider problems. This is supported by investigative exposure and some leavers from the job. One day someone will pay a heavy price for the negligence beyond the suicide of claimants that will catch public attention and perhaps force examination of typical practices. Fortunately due to my wife and a panic attack it won't be me instigating it for another few years...lol... audio recording captures that I asked my wife outside the assessment centre if I'd killed her (the HCP) and if the police were coming... I got a lot of luck that day throughout the relentless nausea and interference.

You make fair points. I certainly don't believe the system is any way perfect - and is awful in some cases. And, yes, for many outcome is all. But, of course, it may be just as likely that those who have got good results have had good and fair assessments - I doubt we will ever know!

I am not entirely sure where this volume of common problems is. I haven't seen that much media reporting of wholesale failings - more individual instances which are pretty terrible. I would be genuinely interested in links to this information. I am certainly not disputing it - more that I am not aware of it so it would be great if you could point me in the right direction

Many of those that we see are at the appeal stage. I do have to say that, quite often, the PIP2 hasn't been filled in very well. It's why I always suggest getting help as that gets everything off on the wrong foot. While I accept that some people aren't aware of the right process (I think clueless is harsh) we don't get folks saying they felt hectored, pressured, ignored etc - more that they just don't agree with the outcome. And, to me, this is the real issue - while we are getting 60% of MRs overturned at appeal there is a gaping hole in the system

I guess what I am saying - and this is a very interesting area to me - is that where I am disagreeing with someone like Philanthropist is that I don't believe HCPs are, in general, rude, uncaring, incompetent, whatever.

But the system, particularly for those with a bad starting point, just ain't right.
  • Muttleythefrog
    edited 12 March 2017 at 4:35PM
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    You make fair points. I certainly don't believe the system is any way perfect - and is awful in some cases. And, yes, for many outcome is all. But, of course, it may be just as likely that those who have got good results have had good and fair assessments - I doubt we will ever know!

I am not entirely sure where this volume of common problems is. I haven't seen that much media reporting of wholesale failings - more individual instances which are pretty terrible. I would be genuinely interested in links to this information. I am certainly not disputing it - more that I am not aware of it so it would be great if you could point me in the right direction

Many of those that we see are at the appeal stage. I do have to say that, quite often, the PIP2 hasn't been filled in very well. It's why I always suggest getting help as that gets everything off on the wrong foot. While I accept that some people aren't aware of the right process (I think clueless is harsh) we don't get folks saying they felt hectored, pressured, ignored etc - more that they just don't agree with the outcome. And, to me, this is the real issue - while we are getting 60% of MRs overturned at appeal there is a gaping hole in the system

I guess what I am saying - and this is a very interesting area to me - is that where I am disagreeing with someone like Philanthropist is that I don't believe HCPs are, in general, rude, uncaring, incompetent, whatever.

But the system, particularly for those with a bad starting point, just ain't right.
    Well what is interesting to me... while people who complain are typically doing so with a dodgy assessment report at hand or on its way.. it is those who you prompt to get the report having had no inclination to look at it (or even being oblivious to such existence).. when they get it they almost always disagree with parts of it or find inconsequential errors at least... perhaps like my wife being wrongly named.

On the second paragraph well of course PIP is pretty new.. but we can extrapolate from WCA problems... since ATOS HC is performing some of the assessments and almost all the problems reported exist(ed) within the much more established problems of the WCA. Investigative documentaries and disgruntled HCPs have typically come through that. Can we extrapolate... yes I would say so.. the methodology is similar... the protocols similar.. the criteria different... the HCPs probably often the same (mine clearly had done WCAs before and advised that as I'd had one I'd find this just the same.. I think that constitutes their claim "The purpose and nature of the consultation has been clearly explained to the claimant")... and the institutional failings often the same... the same problems are reported. But documentaries.. hmm I'll look later if I have time but I think Dispatches and maybe Panorama did them.

The claimants themselves. Yes I'll bet PIP2s often poorly completed but I suspect corner cutting at the private medical contractors is mirrored at DWP... I see no evidence my PIP2 was ever looked at by any party to any notable degree... there was no contest of it even where they disagreed with claims in it. Unfortunately many claimants are clueless... some clearly don't even know how the benefit is assessed or what criteria exists if any... and some seem to take an approach of 'I'm disabled so it'll work out I expect'. Some clearly have the very disabilities that make these processes impossible or difficult to engage.

On the HCPs... well I suspect Philanthropist may not be far wide of mark. HCPs are typically in their profession with particular professional outlook.. but it is known that these assessments are seen as the low of the low in the profession... a bit like a dodgy dentist having to take a job as a hotel cleaner. It could be a good earner for those struggling professionally and the requirements are pretty basic. That HCPs would typically do this for money rather than any professionalism.. I doubt many people go into medical professions planning to assess disabled people for benefits... so you are likely to get the dregs. The attitudes conveyed are often deeply dismissive.. and quite frankly the technical outlook is lacking... whilst the HCP in my case got many descriptors right... they fundamentally got the reasons why wrong.

But yes I agree with your general themes and it is good people like you are out there helping. Clearly many claimants need that help and the appeal success rates continue to show that. I do think the outwardly dismissive attitude of the HCP reported here is at the edge of malpractice rather than middle of it... but I think it's probably an approach that unchallenged from the outside will be acceptable within. Perhaps greater and more aggressive complaint is required to regulatory bodies of the HCPs and the private medical contractor they work for.. as well as in any detail of contention of evidence in claim. If HCPs think they're being watched they may improve... next time I'll take an owl with huge eyes and call it Hawkeye Harriet... or perhaps I'll just say it's my wife... that should set things off on the right foot.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    job centre plus told me this week tthat I can apply for PIP if i receive DLA, and the nurse at hospital yesterday to Maggi drop in centre for advise (Addenbrooks) and a lovely lady phoned job centre plus on my behalf and advised me that when I eventually get the PIP form to fill in that I should go to the CAB as they can help fill it in properly.
    Good luck and best wishes,
    xx

you do realise that PIP is replacing DLA and nit being paid in addition?

PIP is more difficult to get than DLA and i wouldn't be in a hurry to transfer if you already have DLA in payment ( unless your condition has worsened a lot)
  • NeilCr
    Options
    Well what is interesting to me... while people who complain are typically doing so with a dodgy assessment report at hand or on its way.. it is those who you prompt to get the report having had no inclination to look at it (or even being oblivious to such existence).. when they get it they almost always disagree with parts of it or find inconsequential errors at least... perhaps like my wife being wrongly named.

On the second paragraph well of course PIP is pretty new.. but we can extrapolate from WCA problems... since ATOS HC is performing some of the assessments and almost all the problems reported exist(ed) within the much more established problems of the WCA. Investigative documentaries and disgruntled HCPs have typically come through that. Can we extrapolate... yes I would say so.. the methodology is similar... the protocols similar.. the criteria different... the HCPs probably often the same (mine clearly had done WCAs before and advised that as I'd had one I'd find this just the same.. I think that constitutes their claim "The purpose and nature of the consultation has been clearly explained to the claimant")... and the institutional failings often the same... the same problems are reported. But documentaries.. hmm I'll look later if I have time but I think Dispatches and maybe Panorama did them.

The claimants themselves. Yes I'll bet PIP2s often poorly completed but I suspect corner cutting at the private medical contractors is mirrored at DWP... I see no evidence my PIP2 was ever looked at by any party to any notable degree... there was no contest of it even where they disagreed with claims in it. Unfortunately many claimants are clueless... some clearly don't even know how the benefit is assessed or what criteria exists if any... and some seem to take an approach of 'I'm disabled so it'll work out I expect'. Some clearly have the very disabilities that make these processes impossible or difficult to engage.

On the HCPs... well I suspect Philanthropist may not be far wide of mark. HCPs are typically in their profession with particular professional outlook.. but it is known that these assessments are seen as the low of the low in the profession... a bit like a dodgy dentist having to take a job as a hotel cleaner. It could be a good earner for those struggling professionally and the requirements are pretty basic. That HCPs would typically do this for money rather than any professionalism.. I doubt many people go into medical professions planning to assess disabled people for benefits... so you are likely to get the dregs. The attitudes conveyed are often deeply dismissive.. and quite frankly the technical outlook is lacking... whilst the HCP in my case got many descriptors right... they fundamentally got the reasons why wrong.

But yes I agree with your general themes and it is good people like you are out there helping. Clearly many claimants need that help and the appeal success rates continue to show that. I do think the outwardly dismissive attitude of the HCP reported here is at the edge of malpractice rather than middle of it... but I think it's probably an approach that unchallenged from the outside will be acceptable within. Perhaps greater and more aggressive complaint is required to regulatory bodies of the HCPs and the private medical contractor they work for.. as well as in any detail of contention of evidence in claim. If HCPs think they're being watched they may improve... next time I'll take an owl with huge eyes and call it Hawkeye Harriet... or perhaps I'll just say it's my wife... that should set things off on the right foot.

I did a long reply agreeing and disagreeing with you. However, although I normally disagree with Philanthropist he is right about derailing this thread

So - if you did want to continue this perhaps we could go to pm
  • NeilCr
    Options
    Penitent wrote: »
    If a significant number of people are struggling to fill the form in properly and need to seek professional help to do so, isn't that in itself a failing in the system? What I mean is, should the form be something that you need professional help with or should it be made more accessible?

Not sure we are "professional" but we generally know what we are doing

But, yes, it's a problem. And I certainly think it's more user friendly than the DLA form

Don't know the answer to be frank. Getting a balance between a form that gets the information needed and that is user friendly sure isn't easy. I guess there is a lot of good information out there about how to complete the form - CAB, BenefitandWorks etc - perhaps there is something about pointing people in the right direction for help?
  • pampam
    pampam Posts: 432 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quick update
    I phoned DWP this morning and requested a copy of the PA4.
    I am still unsure about sending in a letter to the decision makers explaining what happened at the assessment.
    I don't know if this will help or if it will just annoy the decision maker.
    Any views on this would be very much appreciated.
    I would also like to thank everyone for their support. It means a lot.x
  • Muttleythefrog
    Options
    pampam wrote: »
    Quick update
    I phoned DWP this morning and requested a copy of the PA4.
    I am still unsure about sending in a letter to the decision makers explaining what happened at the assessment.
    I don't know if this will help or if it will just annoy the decision maker.
    Any views on this would be very much appreciated.
    I would also like to thank everyone for their support. It means a lot.x
    See what the PA4 says... possibly get it by end of week...hopefully it is useful.. if not then may have to consider tackling it... if not sooner then later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure