PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Laminate in a shared ownership

Options
Hello,

I know it's a touchy subject putting laminate flooring in a top floor flat but on the ground floor of a 3 bed house would you normally have to get permission? All my lease says is "to provide carpets or such other suitable floor coverings to the floors of the premises"

Regards

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I know it's a touchy subject putting laminate flooring in a top floor flat but on the ground floor of a 3 bed house would you normally have to get permission? All my lease says is "to provide carpets or such other suitable floor coverings to the floors of the premises"

You only need to get permission, if your lease says you need to get permission.

This might sound a bit pedantic... but based on the snippet of the lease you quote, it's not a question of getting permission, it's a question of whether laminate flooring is a suitable floor covering.

From what you say, I'd say it's suitable. But I guess you could ask your freeholder if they agree that it's suitable. But they may or may not express an opinion.
  • Simba-ali34
    Simba-ali34 Posts: 228 Forumite
    Options
    A couple of pages later on the lease it says "not to make any alterations or addition of a non structural nature to the interior of the premises without previous written consent of the landlord" is laminate classed as a alteration? Or do they mean more like replacing a toilet etc?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 10 July 2017 at 9:31PM
    Options
    I would consider laminate a suitable floor covering in a house and not consider it an alteration unless it involved removing a fixed floor such as parquet.
  • Simba-ali34
    Simba-ali34 Posts: 228 Forumite
    Options
    The only reason I'm asking is because it's a new build with no flooring down and I can get laminate fitted at very short notice so I can move in. Getting permission would take a long time
  • charco
    charco Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If there's no flooring then presumably they're expecting you to provide the carpet or alternative flooring? If that's the case then laminate should be fine.

I'd suggest putting down the thick underlay (the green board-like stuff) rather than the rubbish thin foam stuff. Your neighbour will thank you for this as it'll reduce any noise transfer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure