Wimbledon College of Art interview - help

Options

Comments

• littleredhen
    littleredhen Posts: 3,280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Callie22 wrote: »
    Would it help at all to sit down and realistically go through the costs and practicalities that there would be should she be offered a place? So for example, work out accommodation and travel costs, look online at where she might be living, think about the overall costs of food and day-to-day expenses, look at how much she'd need to travel on a daily basis and how many hours she'd need to work to cover all this on top of student loans. Also really think about the reality of being a very long way from home and family and coping with this alongside the pressures of a university course- coping with an unfamiliar GP practice, for example. Get her to plan out her first term in detail - what she'll have to do, what it'll cost. I don't say this with the intention of putting her off, but to try to get her to think more realistically about the reality of moving to London before she goes for the interview. Otherwise I can forsee a huge issue if she does get offered a place and she just relies on the magical thinking (or mum ...) to sort it all out - moving to London will be a massive adjustment anyway even without the stress of university and it might be worse if she puts herself in the position of being offered a place that she can't take up.
    Thank you that suggestion is very helpful
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)
  • littleredhen
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    Has she got a railcard to reduce costs?

https://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/

You can still get cheaper slots with not much notice by using a railcard, though you need to include the price of buying one.

If the relative that wants to help, hasn't asked for the money and I understand that you'd want to pay them, could you ask if they'd accept you paying back the following month to make things a little easier?

How much are we talking about? Is there any cutbacks that can be made to find at least some of the cost?
    We have just bought a 16-25 railcard using my tesco vouchers:j £15's worth
    thank you, I am keeping a tab on what we spend so she can pay me back

• littleredhen
    Options
    I think you need to make an appointment to see someone as high up as possible at her current college.

You need to put your cards on the table about your daughter's mental health issues and your financial position ie. you are in no position to help her out financially and would she survive in Wimbledon with no parental financial help?

If she isn't financially savvy then the !!!! will hit the fan very fast when she has spent her student loan and has no money to eat or return home.

Thank you I have just been having that exact conversation with her and asking her if her school know about her mental health and know I am a single parent who is struggling to pay the fees at the moment then why are they suggesting London!

• rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If her current school encouraged her to apply, have you/she asked them whether they have former students currently in Wimbledon? I think most schools keep tabs on where people end up so they may be able to put her in touch with somebody who is there already, from your area or near enough. They might be in a good position to talk to her about how much it will cost, things like accommodation and travel, the chances of finding a job she can do etc.

As for the money side of things, I would sit down and work out exactly how much you can put towards the trip. Even if it's £10, tell her you will help her plan the trip and you're happy she wants to go but that's the maximum you can afford. Then, if she can't find the rest of the money, it's her choices that have put her in that position. All parents want to provide things like this for their kids but it has to stop at some point, and I'd say at 20 she's had quite a good run if you've paid for everything up till now!
  • littleredhen
    Options
    rach_k wrote: »
    If her current school encouraged her to apply, have you/she asked them whether they have former students currently in Wimbledon? I think most schools keep tabs on where people end up so they may be able to put her in touch with somebody who is there already, from your area or near enough. They might be in a good position to talk to her about how much it will cost, things like accommodation and travel, the chances of finding a job she can do etc.

As for the money side of things, I would sit down and work out exactly how much you can put towards the trip. Even if it's £10, tell her you will help her plan the trip and you're happy she wants to go but that's the maximum you can afford. Then, if she can't find the rest of the money, it's her choices that have put her in that position. All parents want to provide things like this for their kids but it has to stop at some point, and I'd say at 20 she's had quite a good run if you've paid for everything up till now!

thanks unfortunately she doesn't have any money of her own anymore, she spent her exam years ill and off school with very little support from school and now she has finally managed to get to Art School she just can't cope with a job to earn money at the moment, I know it sounds a bit airy fairy but trust me I am a very harsh, practical, no nonsense parent! If I believe kicking her up the !!! to get a job would help I would do it but she knows she needs to get a job for the summer and going forward.
    I haven't bought her any make up or anything like that for several years now and at one point she couldn't even go shopping with me to get new clothes, I kitted her out for Art School but that was it.

• Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Jojo_the_Tightfisted Posts: 27,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 February 2018 at 2:34PM
    Options
    My daughter has an interview 9am - 3pm at the above uni but we live in Scotland so here are my issues

1. the date is soon so we haven't been able to access cheap train travel
    2. if she goes to stay with my sister in Reading the night before she has to change in London - tube etc
    3. if she doesn't stay at my sisters we have to find accommodation (cost)
    4. she suffers with mental health issues, one of which is severe anxiety
    5. money is an issue at the moment for me
    6. her current school of art told her to apply as she very likely to be accepted, she missed her exam years at school because of mental health but has attended her school of art nearly everyday, which has been a miracle
    7. if I can't find the money for her to do the interview it will be so tough on her although in reality I don't think she would even be able to cope going there
    8. she has applied to Scottish uni's which are free but obviously not guaranteed a place and the interviews for them are after the Wimbledon one

I am not sure what my question is but some support would be really appreciated to help me unravel this

The connections between King's Cross and Paddington are very easy ones, they're more like hopping on a bus for a couple of stops than wandering miles.

Train from Reading - Paddington.
    District Line from Paddington to Wimbledon.
    15 Minute walk from the station. If she can't handle the walking bit, hop onto a tram to Dundonald Road and it's about 4 minutes away.

Easy.

Download the Rail app, download the bus times app, make sure she's got enough data to use both, plus the TFL journey planner (website, not app) and Google maps, make sure she has a payment card with contactless for the transport, print the travel instructions out and she's sorted. If she is really suffering by the time she gets to Wimbledon Station, there's a black cab rank out the front and it won't take long to get there (so won't be too expensive). Should take just over a hour and a quarter from getting on the train at Reading.

It's also not that expensive for a second person to go along with her from Reading - cheaper than a hotel.

Wimbledon isn't central London. A lot of it is very quiet, posh and leafy outside two weeks in the summer, where it's busy, posh and leafy but filled with weird people who want to watch tennis.

PS - both mine are at Art School - the most floaty one did so well, she decided she wasn't coming back to her home town and is very happy where she is.

This was the one who couldn't catch a bus on her own until the day she went to Uni.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • littleredhen
    Options
    The connections between King's Cross and Paddington are very easy ones, they're more like hopping on a bus for a couple of stops than wandering miles.

Train from Reading - Paddington.
    District Line from Paddington to Wimbledon.
    15 Minute walk from the station. If she can't handle the walking bit, hop onto a tram to Dundonald Road and it's about 4 minutes away.

Easy.

Download the Rail app, download the bus times app, make sure she's got enough data to use both, plus the TFL journey planner (website, not app) and Google maps, make sure she has a payment card with contactless for the transport, print the travel instructions out and she's sorted. If she is really suffering by the time she gets to Wimbledon Station, there's a black cab rank out the front and it won't take long to get there (so won't be too expensive). Should take just over a hour and a quarter from getting on the train at Reading.

It's also not that expensive for a second person to go along with her from Reading - cheaper than a hotel.

Wimbledon isn't central London. A lot of it is very quiet, posh and leafy outside two weeks in the summer, where it's busy, posh and leafy but filled with weird people who want to watch tennis.

PS - both mine are at Art School - the most floaty one did so well, she decided she wasn't coming back to her home town and is very happy where she is.

This was the one who couldn't catch a bus on her own until the day she went to Uni.

Thanks jojo that is very helpful

• littleredhen
    Options
    I really feel very blessed with all your helpful suggestions, I have added my thanks to all your posts but just wanted to say a big thank you so far to everyone who has taken the time and trouble to post suggestions, I really appreciate it and thank you for not judging and just thinking I am a parent who can't say no to their spoilt child!

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 February 2018 at 2:49PM
    Options
    Sounds quite harsh, but the truth is, part of this interview is a 'test'. The 'test' is whether or not the applicant can be bothered/wants the place enough/etc. to make the journey. I'm in a similar line of work and the interview process can be used as a shakedown for those who will take the place, and those that won't.

Many applicants will take a place in a heartbeat over the phone, Skype, email etc. but when it comes down to moving and starting....guess what...they don't come. That is now a place wasted that could have been given to many other applicants.

Obviously, you have many issues to sort to make this journey AND I hope you do of course. Just thought you should know their position and how important it is to make the journey if they really want to go.
  • littleredhen
    Options
    Sounds quite harsh, but the truth is, part of this interview is a 'test'. The 'test' is whether or not the applicant can be bothered/wants the place enough/etc. to make the journey. I'm in a similar line of work and the interview process can be used as a shakedown for those who will take the place, and those that won't.

Many applicants will take a place in a heartbeat over the phone, Skype, email etc. but when it comes down to moving and starting....guess what...they don't come. That is now a place wasted that could have been given to many other applicants.

Obviously, you have many issues to sort to make this journey AND I hope you do of course. Just thought you should know their position and how important it is to make the journey if they really want to go.

Thanks yes I have explained some of that to her that it is all very well being proud you have been offered an interview but getting there and organising yourself is just another part of it!
    I'm exhausted with it all to be honest!!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure