Demanding a replacement TV

Options
I bought a Samsung TV worth £1700 about 3 years from john Lewis.

I have been having issues with the TV from the beginning. Initially it was freezing regularly on the Smart Hub and over time, it developed more faults, which included the TV randomly restarting and also merging TV channels with Smart Hub pictures.

The TV was picked up and repaired, the screen was replaced . However, from the first day I noticed problems with the Smart Hub taking much longer to operate and often freezing again. In addition to this, whilst it loads, a black empty screen appears which has not happened before. This black screen highlights another issue - a cloudy/foggy screen.

Then purple a purple line (dead pixels) appearing on the TV randomly. This started from a random occurrence to a daily occurrence. After a second engineer visit he explained that the TV will need to be repaired again and will need a replacement screen for the second time!

Now after the second repair/replacement I’m still having issue with smart hub which takes much longer to load and everything I play on the smart hub has a green tint on it.

The question having had the TV repaired twice within two month period and with the problems still persisting, could I demand to have it replaced rather then going the repair route again?

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have no right to have it replaced, but you could always ask.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    Well he does have a right to alternate remedy should the other take longer than what would be deemed reasonable or cause a significant inconvenience. Personally I'd say you're venturing into that territory now and should be pushing JL for a suitable replacement or (albeit partial) refund.
  • CoolHotCold
    CoolHotCold Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Being without a TV is not a significant inconvenience, so I (personally) don't believe that section of the SoGA applies.

Reasonable timeframe however would.

BUT was this done under warranty or Product Insurance/Support Agreement or under the SoGA?

If under warranty or Support Agreement then you cannot demand more than what both parties agreed at when taken out/purchased. You can ask, but that's all.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    You'll find 'demanding' doesn't get you very far. Asking nicely would probably yield better results.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    Being without a TV is not a significant inconvenience, so I (personally) don't believe that section of the SoGA applies.
    I wouldn't necessarily agree, also having to deal with this problem on a number of occasions, including, possibly taken time from work or other commitments can equally be viewed as causing a significant inconvenience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure