Options
    can anyone answer my previous question? Thanks
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,879 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Tron1969 wrote: »
    can anyone answer my previous question? Thanks

No, that kind of information is a private buisness agreement between the two parties.

It's usually pennies in the pound though.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    It'll likely be an agreement where PRA takes on the management of MBNA's debts in return for the right to buy them later on. It doesn't imply they don't think it's an enforceable debt.

As stated, it'll be cheap. But if it's enforceable it'll make no odds. If the CCA doesn't get answered then it's a write-off either way.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Tron1969 wrote: »
    Just an update. PRA were administering the debt for MBNA but as soon as I requested CCA request it looks like the debt has now been sold to PRA and they are now the legal opwners of the debt. Does that sound like MBNA know it is not enforceable. Also what sort of value would they sell a £15k debt for?

It certainly sounds as though MBNA now think the account is unenforceable. As for how much the DCA would pay, well how much would you pay for a £15k account that hasn't been paid for 20 years? Me - 15 quid max, and it would be worth the punt.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Tron1969
    Tron1969 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Previously in the Thread PRA said the following:-

I have now got the following response from PRA who say they were acting on behalf of MBNA (but this reads as if they now own the debt??)

What should I now do as they are still on my DMP, do I take them off it until they contact me again? what does this actually mean?

You have advised us that you believe the debt is unenforceable, I have requested a copy of your Consumer Credit Agreement (CCA) from the original vendor. We are currently unable to provide your agreement this means that we have classified your debt as currently “unenforceable”, which means that we were unable to take court action against you to recover the outstanding balance.

Despite the debt being unenforceable, we are still legally entitled to:

Contact you and ask you to repay what you owe
    Pass your details onto a third party debt collection agency
    Update your credit reference report (as appropriate)

You should also be aware that the original creditor may be able to provide us with information in future, at which time we will class your debt as enforceable and take appropriate action where necessary (including but not limited to court action to recover the outstanding balance owed to us).

In the meantime your account will remain on hold until we receive a response from the original vendor regarding your CCA
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Doesn't mean anything.

They are requesting the CCA agreement from the original creditor.

They may be able to supply it, they may not, wait and see.

Up to you if you continue paying or not.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • maia_evo
    maia_evo Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I too have an MBNA credit card debt which had been past to PRA Group for collection about a year ago. I must say that PRA Group were very good to deal with and never pushed for payment, giving me time to set arrangements up for repayment. I paid back about £1000 until such time I had no spare cashflow.

That's when I found this site. Thanks to this thread and some others, I sent off a CCA letter to PRA group. Got a very odd reply in the post today.

The letter starts "We thank you for your recent contact and are pleased to confirm that the payment plan of £50.00 commencing on 23/07/2017 has been set up. As discussed, there is currently no automatic payment method on your account" letter then goes on to say about setting up direct debit etc for a "continuous payment authority"

First thing. I sent a CCA standard letter. I have not discussed anything with anyone, nor have I requested a payment plan.

So my question to those more experienced than myself. Are they likely trying it on knowing they won't get the paperwork and £50 a month, based on my previous amounts already paid I'd likely feel grateful for?

Like others I've had card for decades, can't even remember the name of business when I first started using it. I estimate 20 plus years.

Do I write back and state the facts I've laid out above re not discussing anything with anyone and reiterating my CCA request?

If I accepted their offer of £50 per month payment plan, could they then sell it on again and I'd need to start again with another collection company if I can't afford to pay it off in full?

The current balance is £9900 so would take 16.5 years to clear at £50 a month!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

PS: thought best to add into this thread than start another to keep all responses in one place to help future visitors.
    Take care of the here and now and the future will be taken care of.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    maia_evo wrote: »
    I too have an MBNA credit card debt which had been past to PRA Group for collection about a year ago. I must say that PRA Group were very good to deal with and never pushed for payment, giving me time to set arrangements up for repayment. I paid back about £1000 until such time I had no spare cashflow.

That's when I found this site. Thanks to this thread and some others, I sent off a CCA letter to PRA group. Got a very odd reply in the post today.

The letter starts "We thank you for your recent contact and are pleased to confirm that the payment plan of £50.00 commencing on 23/07/2017 has been set up. As discussed, there is currently no automatic payment method on your account" letter then goes on to say about setting up direct debit etc for a "continuous payment authority"

First thing. I sent a CCA standard letter. I have not discussed anything with anyone, nor have I requested a payment plan.

So my question to those more experienced than myself. Are they likely trying it on knowing they won't get the paperwork and £50 a month, based on my previous amounts already paid I'd likely feel grateful for?

Like others I've had card for decades, can't even remember the name of business when I first started using it. I estimate 20 plus years.

Do I write back and state the facts I've laid out above re not discussing anything with anyone and reiterating my CCA request?

If I accepted their offer of £50 per month payment plan, could they then sell it on again and I'd need to start again with another collection company if I can't afford to pay it off in full?

The current balance is £9900 so would take 16.5 years to clear at £50 a month!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

PS: thought best to add into this thread than start another to keep all responses in one place to help future visitors.

It sounds as though they have responded to the wrong letter, and you have received the wrong reply.

Remind them it was a CCA request you sent.
  • maia_evo
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    It sounds as though they have responded to the wrong letter, and you have received the wrong reply.

Remind them it was a CCA request you sent.

Update: I sent a reminder and have had no response back. This was 10th July I have continued to pay £50 a month off the debt What do I do next?
    Take care of the here and now and the future will be taken care of.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    maia_evo wrote: »
    Update: I sent a reminder and have had no response back. This was 10th July I have continued to pay £50 a month off the debt What do I do next?

Why would they when your paying them £50 a month ?

Stop paying them and tell them to respond to your CCA request.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure