Cheaper way to buy guaze bandages

Options
Hi,

A pensioner friend in Scotland has to buy lots of guaze bandages at £16 a pop each month to dress their leg ulcers. They cannot be issued on prescription.

They are partially sighted and with moderate care/mobility needs but I'm not aware if they receive any kind of disability related benefits or if they get any kind of work related pension.

She's not a silver surfer so I will look online to see if I can get them cheaper than her local pharmacist.

But can you tell me if there is a cheaper way for her to get them, be it through a charity or discount supplier?

Also, she prefers to dress them herself rather than a nurse as she says she can do them better but seems to have had them a very long time and she refuses to take pain killers so seems to suffer a lot.

Is there any other support available that I can suggest to her? For example, I found out about 'leg clubs' in the UK but there doesn't happen to be a branch in our city.

So I just wonder what other help I could bring to her attention apart from just trying to source cheaper bandages for her.

thanks for your help.

Comments

• kingfisherblue
    Options
    Depending on whether she fits the criteria or not, she might be able to apply for a grant from

http://www.elizabethfinncare.org.uk/get_support/elizabeth-finn-grants/

There may be other grant making bodies available. It's just a case of finding them. Google 'grants for pensioners' or 'grants for disability' and add your town. Otherwise, libraries often have FunderFinder on their computers, and libraries in our town all have a 'funding corner', with books listing grants and charitable trusts (many are small and not on the internet). If you have a carer's centre, they might be able to advise on grants available locally.

Be aware that the lady may not want to accept something that she may see as 'charity'.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BigAunty wrote: »
    Also, she prefers to dress them herself rather than a nurse as she says she can do them better but seems to have had them a very long time and she refuses to take pain killers so seems to suffer a lot.

Is there any other support available that I can suggest to her?
    One obvious question which pops into MY mind is how often these ulcers are seen by a professional? I know leg ulcers can be extremely difficult to treat, but if your friend is just using the same routine it's possible that there are better options which could improve things!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    One obvious question which pops into MY mind is how often these ulcers are seen by a professional? I know leg ulcers can be extremely difficult to treat, but if your friend is just using the same routine it's possible that there are better options which could improve things!

I don't know - what is the recommended routine? She trained as a nurse and says no one can do them better than her and she will tend to her own ulcers until she's not physically able.
  • stefos
    stefos Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have suffered with leg ulcers in the past and know how painful they can be but even a stubborn old ex-nurse should seek medical help as perhaps there are new treatments available since she retired!
    Several approaches were made in my case the cure eventually coming via seaweed plasters and manuka honey which I am led to believe are 'new' approaches.

Good luck to the lady in question.

All BB users are equal; but some are more equal than others
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't know - what is the recommended routine?
    I have no idea. And I have no idea how long she's been suffering, or whether that's a 'normal' length of time - I know my neighbour's been struggling for years but she does have regular attention.
    She trained as a nurse and says no one can do them better than her and she will tend to her own ulcers until she's not physically able.
    I'm sure no-one can dress her ulcers as well as she can. I'm equally sure that a medically qualified eye on them from time to time would be wise.
    stefos wrote: »
    I have suffered with leg ulcers in the past and know how painful they can be but even a stubborn old ex-nurse should seek medical help as perhaps there are new treatments available since she retired!
    Exactly that.
    stefos wrote: »
    Several approaches were made in my case the cure eventually coming via seaweed plasters and manuka honey which I am led to believe are 'new' approaches.
    And I'm aware of at least one other approach.

Is it possible that she's just dressing them without ever having had them looked at properly?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • oystercatcher
    Options
    I agree with the 'should see a professional' consensus.

In answer to the original question, I noticed our Poundland were selling various types of bandages and dressings. I have no idea how the price compares with chemist/pharmacy prices but am sure it's worth comparing if you have a local shop.
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport