Grants for 1st time university students.

Options
Hi, while my daughter was in year 12 she was told because she would be the 1st of her family to go to uni that she would get help towards her uni fees. She now is about to start uni but we haven't had any help and don't no where we should go or do to find out how she would get the extra help. Has anyone gone through this process?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know if what your daughter has been told is true or not, but I would have thought your first port of call would be the school, and in particular whoever told her that.

By the way, congratulations to her on gaining entrance to university.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Who was she to get help from?

Student Finance has changed since your daughter was 12 but I am not aware of any special scheme for first child going to university.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Student Finance has changed since your daughter was 12

It was Year 12 (lower 6th in my terms, according to Wikipedia), not when she was 12.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 August 2017 at 7:44PM
    Options
    When your daughter applied for student finance (she has applied hasn't she? )The amount of student loan she would get is means tested based on her parents income. The Tuition fees part of it goes straight to the Uni - the maintenance element will be paid to her in 3 more or less equal chunks each term and the amount will depend whether she is living at home or halls - and there is an extra allowance if she is studying in London.
    If the parents earn less than £25K then she would get the maximum student maintenance loan. If she needed more than the loan then she needs a part time job (assuming she is able). My youngest has been saving his w/e job wages for over 12 months - and we(Mum and Dad) have been saving for years.

Once her student loan is sorted - then she needs to talk to the Uni she's going to. All Unis have some sort of extra help but they all have different criteria as to who is eligible - it might be about household income, it might be dependant on high A Level/BTEC grades or it might be for students who come from particularly poor areas near the Uni in question - all this info will be on the Unis website somewhere. Failing that - call them.
    Most students need to work part time these days - has she started looking for a job?
    In a dire emergency - if she has opened a Student bank account - there might be a bit of an overdraft she can use to get her though the first month or two but that's expensive in the long run.
    However, there is no generally available and specific grant for 1st time family member at Uni that I am aware of (doesn't mean one doesn't exist - I'm just not aware of one)
  • Loppy42
    Options
    There are actually some grants and scholarships for first time family members. It is not a myth. They are offered by universities or charities that are looking to increase or improve access to university from students in under represented groups. They will often offer some financial support as well as mentoring.

Search for First in the family to go to university in Google and you will find more information.
  • HalloweenJack
    Options
    Compact Plus is the name of 1 such scheme (up to £2000 in the first year, depending on family income and £1000 in year 2 and 3)

Another is First Generation Scholars - £3000 in year 1 and £1000 in year 2 and 3.

Check the Uni website , under fees and they should have a bursaries / scholarships section.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure