Shares / Funds tracking & analysis software?

I have a home-brewed Excel spreadsheet that I use to keep track of three pension accounts (one a dormant DC scheme, two active - one a DC work scheme, the other a SIPP) and a S&S ISA - all containing very mainstream funds. It kind of works, but I'd really like some software that:
  • keeps track of fund prices, buy/sell activity, etc. (ideally with CSV import) to avoid typing in, but i'm only buying a few times a month across the whole set so manual isn't too bad
  • keeps track of basic rate-of-return analysis, etc. with standard metrics
  • lets me dig a bit deeper into things like asset allocation across the whole portfolio - i'm fairly sure i'm not as well balanced as I should be
The first two are (sort-of) handled by my spreadsheet, although automatic price updates would be nice. The third isn't. Back in the day I used to use MS Money, although I can't remember if it did asset allocation analysis or not, but haven't used it in ten years or so. Die-hard YNAB (classic) user for personal finances, but it doesn't do funds.

I've had a look around the MacOS AppStore but nothing jumps out, so any recommendations? Happy to pay up to £100 or so for the software provided it is good, Mac preferred but have a Windows PC if needed.

Thoughts?
£40k-in-’23#18 £78,628.29/40,000 (196.57%)

Comments

• redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can get hold of the free 'sunset edition' of MS Money. This won't automatically track prices but it's not a big overhead to manually enter prices once a week. It tracks all purchase / sales / dividends / splits etc and gives good analysis of return over different periods.

The asset allocation isn't very sophisticated and I use a spreadsheet to do this, put in the allocation of each investment and update total value of each every month or so that you can see the overall allocation of your portfolio.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    MS Money can produce a wide range of reports including IRR values. It can export holding and price data to spreadsheets so you can carry out whatever further analysis you want. If you go for the UK 2005 version rather than the US sunset version you can use software from Gaier to automatically load the latest prices for UK shares and funds. I dont know whether the Gaier software picks up UK share and fund data with the US sunset version of MS Money.

Reasonably deep analysis of asset allocation can be provided by Morningstar's portfolio Xray facility. Sadly you cant transfer data in and out of Morningstar
  • try stockmarketeye.com i am very pleased with this software about $99
    steve
  • Lomcevak
    Lomcevak Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    stephen160 wrote: »
    try stockmarketeye.com i am very pleased with this software about $99
    steve

I've had a quick play with the demo - quite like it, but the price feeds seem temperamental, have you got them working reliably?

e.g. I hold ETFs like VFEM and VWRL which are priced in pounds but StockMarketEye interprets the Yahoo finance price in pence (so it either shows a 99% loss or I have to multiply the number of units I hold by 100), while mainstream funds like VLS80 and Fidelity Index US can be found by ISIN on Yahoo but the price data is messed up (lots of discontinuous jumps up and down in price).
    £40k-in-’23#18 £78,628.29/40,000 (196.57%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure