PayPal sent me a strange email today, or could it be scam?

Options
2»

Comments

• mike6265
    Options
    What did the E-mail contain?

A PayPal Log in page.

Nothing came up on the scans.
  • BertieUK
    BertieUK Posts: 1,701 Forumite
    Options
    mike6265 wrote: »
    What did the E-mail contain?

A PayPal Log in page.

Nothing came up on the scans.

I would suggest that you follow the suggestions made on this thread and do not be tempted to enter any information on any account whether PayPal or any other.

The next time that you receive such an E-mail ie PayPay - log in to the site - and check for any changes that may refer to the question, within your Account, that was asked within the face of the E-mail.

Never open suspicious mail, bin it.
  • Hate_scams
    Options
    Hi,
    Yesterday I received an email from paypal telling me that my credit card had been removed - reasons given: expired, declined or reached limit and so asked me to ADD a new card!

I did not have a credit card registered with paypal and thought it could be a spoof email, so rang paypal direct today to be told that NO email had been sent to me! my suspicion was right. I forwarded the email I received to [EMAIL="spoof@paypal.com"]spoof@paypal.com[/EMAIL].
  • challengedavid
    challengedavid Posts: 235 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 January 2013 at 3:42PM
    Options
    Hate_scams wrote: »
    Hi,
    Yesterday I received an email from paypal telling me that my credit card had been removed - reasons given: expired, declined or reached limit and so asked me to ADD a new card!

I did not have a credit card registered with paypal and thought it could be a spoof email, so rang paypal direct today to be told that NO email had been sent to me! my suspicion was right. I forwarded the email I received to [EMAIL="spoof@paypal.com"]spoof@paypal.com[/EMAIL].

i had the same email, but unusually it had my full name seems like they are getting better at the scam emails all the others i have received started " Dear , "
  • BertieUK
    BertieUK Posts: 1,701 Forumite
    Options
    i had the same email, but unusually it had my full name seems like they are getting better at the scam emails all the others i have received started " Dear , "

There must be an end result for them I suppose, because their emails and type script are exactly as the real thing and that can throw even the best of us off guard.

I wonder how many innocent people get snared, I hate to say it but it would be people like myself, a pensioner or the needy. How low can they stoop, very low I guess.

Ignorance is bliss - Ignore anything that you are not 100% happy with err on the side of extreme caution, always.
  • skellyness
    Options
    definitely, I get them daily
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Options
    It's worth remembering that even if they do use your full name or other details, that still doesn't mean it is genuine. I recently had a Paypal scam email that was VERY convincing, best scam email I've ever seen.

I especially love the ones I get from the bank about problems with my accounts. I think I've had one from every single major bank except the one I am actually with :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure