Should I still be paying child maintenance?

Options
Just a quick question....I have read the 'legislation' regarding this but can't find an answer to this specific question.

My son is 18 and officially left school on June 26th 2014. I was told that he was going to college so was intending to continue the maintenance payments throughout the school hols and obviously once he starts college in Aug.

However I have since found out that he was refused a college place and now my ex wife is being a bit cagey as to what his intentions are. She is implying that he still wants to go to college but she doesn't know if he will be able to get into one he wants.

I am wondering whether she is stringing me along as she knows my payments will stop as soon as she admits that he is not going to college.

So is there a ruling that covers this? Should I still be paying whilst he is 'making up his mind'?

Comments

• Crellow4
    Crellow4 Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    In any event you are liable until the beginning of September, after that it will depend largely on the Child Benefit position.
  • *In*need*of*advice*
    Options
    Crellow4 wrote: »
    In any event you are liable until the beginning of September, after that it will depend largely on the Child Benefit position.

....but presumably if he had got a job I wouldn't be liable until the beginning of Sept. So I just wondered if he said now "I'm not going to college I am going to sign on the dole/find a job/take a year out to travel"...etc,,,then presumably my responsibility ends when he ceases education (which was June this year).
  • clearingout
    clearingout Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Child Benefit is payable to the end of August for all young people who left school in June. The CSA would happily oblige you to pay child maintenance whilst Child Benefit is in payment. Your child still needs a roof over his head, clothes on his back and some money in his pocket to go out with friends whether he is in school, college or job seeking. Or do you expect his mum to throw him out now?
  • *In*need*of*advice*
    Options
    Your child still needs a roof over his head, clothes on his back and some money in his pocket to go out with friends whether he is in school, college or job seeking. Or do you expect his mum to throw him out now?

No I don't expect his mum to throw him out but equally I don't expect to be paying child maintenance whilst he is signing on the dole, taking a year out or job seeking. He could be job seeking for 10 years...LOL.

I have also just found out that he has applied for a carers allowance as his has an autistic sister. If he gets that then I am certain that he won't go to college or get a job..... Presumably I don't have to pay maintenance then?
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As jobs are not being thrown at jobseekers it may take him a little time to become employed and as a young lad of 18 and one that has been refused a college place signing on each week can be a soul destroying experience add the measly sum of jobseekers to that and well i'm sure you would be still be willing to help him out and maybe provide him with some spending money each week...

His mother will still be paying for the roof over his head, the electric he uses and food in his stomach so seems only fair you provide also.
  • *In*need*of*advice*
    Options
    Poppie68 wrote: »
    As jobs are not being thrown at jobseekers it may take him a little time to become employed and as a young lad of 18 and one that has been refused a college place signing on each week can be a soul destroying experience add the measly sum of jobseekers to that and well i'm sure you would be still be willing to help him out and maybe provide him with some spending money each week...

His mother will still be paying for the roof over his head, the electric he uses and food in his stomach so seems only fair you provide also.

I have no problems in helping him out (emotionally, with support and encouragement, AND financially to keep his morale up) but what I needed to know is when I can LEGALLY stop making maintenance payments to his mother as I know this is largely wasted (but that's a whole different story!)
  • nicky3
    nicky3 Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    The poster simply wants to know when responsibility to the CSA and PWC ceases.

With all due respect, this is a perfectly reasonable question and bears no reflection on intentions towards the child or his needs beyond that responsibility.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,965 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    However I have since found out that he was refused a college place and now my ex wife is being a bit cagey as to what his intentions are. She is implying that he still wants to go to college but she doesn't know if he will be able to get into one he wants.

Given that A level results are not published until August, that may well be the case. Even if your child didn't sit A levels, others with provisional places on the course may have done, so whether there is a place on his chosen course for your son may not be known until after results are published.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • medsec_222
    medsec_222 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    I agree that this is a perfectly reasonable question to ask. There is plenty of advice for the receiving parents, but rather limited advice for the paying parents other than how much they are required to pay. Many fathers are more than willing to support their children when education ends, especially when they have the pleasure of spending directly on their children and seeing the benefits. It isn't only mothers who put a roof over the heads of their children - when there is a Court ordered shared residence in place, fathers are doing exactly the same, and paying the mother as well.
  • Tock
    Tock Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    No you don't have to pay a penny just follow the guide line on csa site.
    She can not prove that he is going to college plus he is over 16 years old.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure