debt letter after 6.5 years

Options

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The provable fact that even by this year they had failed to update the person's name after her marriage in 2009 renders that sketchy record of payment in 2010 highly suspect.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    redux wrote: »
    The provable fact that even by this year they had failed to update the person's name after her marriage in 2009 renders that sketchy record of payment in 2010 highly suspect.

surely they have
    shannianni wrote: »
    her married name is on the letter and not her maiden name when the debt took place.

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    shannianni wrote: »
    hi

my wife sent a statue barred letter as above and received a let 2 days ago, they say she made a payment in 2010 with a statement (excel sheet) as there is no headed paper just plain with dates and large amounts, showing this, what is odd is that it shows my wife making payments of £50 - £60 pounds at a time and one payment of £200 pounds, there is now way we could afford this amount in one week.
    they also say that the amount has gone up as additional costs have been added but don't say what costs.

should we contact scotcall and ask for a statement from them?
    as we haven't heard from them in years.

once again many thanks

Hi Ian

As other posters have recognised, this scenario of a creditor claiming you've made a one-off payment is quite common, sadly. I certainly expect to speak to a few people in this position each month.

Don't expect these Excel payment sheets to ever appear on company headed notepaper!

As you've already sent the statute barred letter and they have yet to provide any actual proof, you can sit tight for now if you wish.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • nottoolate
    nottoolate Posts: 1,359 Forumite
    Options
    so ignore them?
  • Sam_Fallow
    Options
    nottoolate wrote: »
    so ignore them?

Just sit tight and see what they do next.

Certainly don't discuss it over the phone. If they call again tell them that all future communications must be written and posted.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
  • shannianni
    Options
    Hi All

many thanks for your replies, my wife now has sent the other letter (post by nottoolate).

if they phone she wont talk to them only by post.

once again many thanks

Ian Aka shannianni (its my daughters name)
  • shannianni
    shannianni Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi everyone we haven't heard anything for over a month and now we received another letter yesterday from JES enforcement, notice of doorstep collection please read carefully, the balance has now gone up to £3,110.

we have had nothing back from the people (credit G) after we sent the letters in the earlier posts, can they keep doing this as it says its from JES enforcement but it has the same address on the top of the letters as - credit g.
    it says they intend to make a doorstep call, can they do this?

many thanks for reading

Ian.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Unlikely anyone will call, but if they do you just tell them the debt is disputed and statute barred and that you won't be paying them anything. Doorstep collectors have no powers, so if they get shirty you tell them to leave otherwise you will be calling the police to have them removed.

Perhaps print out a copy of the last letter you sent and keep that to hand so you can hand it to anyone.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • quidsy
    quidsy Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    Options
    Don't answer the door & if you do, do not allow them in the house. Have phone in hand with police on speed dial & if possible record the conversation.
    I don't respond to stupid so that's why I am ignoring you.

2015 £2 saver #188 = £45
  • Double_V
    Double_V Posts: 912 Forumite
    Options
    Hope all goes well.
    And keep us posted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income