Refused Balance Transfer

Options
Hi

I just got a new Halifax credit card with the zero fee transfer and 33 months of zero interest. when I applied I added my Barclaycard as a balance transfer. I got an email saying the balance transfer has been declined.

The credit limit on the new card is over 5k more than the Barclaycard total balance.

What could be the problem?? as I am a but miffed that I have a new credit card that I got was only to transfer the barclaycard over to.

I guess I could of entered the details wrong when I applied to transfer the balance, I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone before?.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Wrong details most likely. Try again.
  • rosen1973
    Options
    i think so too.
  • Elvie100
    Elvie100 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Same happened to me with TSB to Halifax. Once I got the physical card I tried again via online banking and it went through without a problem.
    Was MFW#60 - mortgage paid off December 2021
  • rosen1973
    Options
    Yeah I just did the transfer online. It seems to have worked
  • I too had a bank balance transfer rejected. I applied and received a Sainsbury's card to transfer my balance from my Very card supplied by Capitol One. Sainsbury's rejected the transfer due to the fact that Very is considered a store card and terms say they are not transferable
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,646 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I too had a bank balance transfer rejected. I applied and received a Sainsbury's card to transfer my balance from my Very card supplied by Capitol One. Sainsbury's rejected the transfer due to the fact that Very is considered a store card and terms say they are not transferable

In your scenario you should have applied for a 0% money transfer card rather than a balance transfer card.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Pipes75
    Options
    HI,

I had this issue with rejected Balance transfer onto a Sainsbury's Mastercard when trying to transfer a balance from an AA Credit Card (which is operated by Bank of Ireland (UK). Sainsbury's said it was because AA don't accept FastTransfer payments.

Not ideal as that was the only reason I setup the card with Sainsbury's in the first place!
    Don't know where this was in the fine print if at all.
  • Pipes75
    Options
    HI,

I had this issue with rejected Balance transfer onto a Sainsbury's Mastercard when trying to transfer a balance from an AA Credit Card (which is operated by Bank of Ireland (UK). Sainsbury's said it was because AA don't accept FastTransfer payments.

Not ideal as that was the only reason I setup the card with Sainsbury's in the first place!
    Don't know where this was in the fine print if at all.

Might be worth checking with Halifax if they have the same limitation?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure