Recently redundant, Unemployment Claim monthly evidence required for approval of paym

Options
Good morning,

Sadly made redundant recently, but I was fortunate enough to have taken out unemployment cover a while back.....I nearly cancelled a few times due to the increase in premiums and I am so relieved I hung on!

They have advised me before they can pay me each month, I have to send them 3 pieces of evidence of Job search activity (positions applied for and copies of application/response letters).

My original plan was to spend some time working on my CV, attending some career assesment courses I have lined up, spending time with my daughter too. I dont want to just throw myself into anther job without using! this time wisely. .I want to consider my options, do I want to continue along the same path or aim for something new (and possibly apply for some courses to build qualifications.......). This may involve applying for roles bur what if I don't find something suitable each month..? My hours were term time due to my kids which narrows down possibilities also.

Anyway, does anyone else have experience of such claims and the type of evidence they accept? Eg! if I sign up for training could this count as evidence?! guess I will need to call them directly to ask but i wanted to put the 'feelers' out there before i take this further. If anyone out there has had direct experience of this I'd love to know....

Thanks in advance. And apologies for any typos as using my phone it has a mind of its own changing my typing!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My cover needed confirmation I had registered for JSA. They wouldn't look at it until then. Once I'd done that and sent them proof I didn't need to show anything else.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mouthwash wrote: »
    Good morning,

Sadly made redundant recently, but I was fortunate enough to have taken out unemployment cover a while back.....I nearly cancelled a few times due to the increase in premiums and I am so relieved I hung on!

They have advised me before they can pay me each month, I have to send them 3 pieces of evidence of Job search activity (positions applied for and copies of application/response letters).

My original plan was to spend some time working on my CV, attending some career assesment courses I have lined up, spending time with my daughter too. I dont want to just throw myself into anther job without using! this time wisely. .I want to consider my options, do I want to continue along the same path or aim for something new (and possibly apply for some courses to build qualifications.......). This may involve applying for roles bur what if I don't find something suitable each month..? My hours were term time due to my kids which narrows down possibilities also.

Anyway, does anyone else have experience of such claims and the type of evidence they accept? Eg! if I sign up for training could this count as evidence?! guess I will need to call them directly to ask but i wanted to put the 'feelers' out there before i take this further. If anyone out there has had direct experience of this I'd love to know....

Thanks in advance. And apologies for any typos as using my phone it has a mind of its own changing my typing!

Thanks in advance

Unemployment cover is designed to help those who are made redundant until such times as they get another job role.

Its not really designed to allow people to kick out, watch the world go by and mull over what they may do at some point in the future.

Its not terribly unreasonable of them to expect to see evidence that you are actually trying to find another job.

If you want to be guaranteed payment, then you need to play by their rules, apply for at least 3 jobs per month and keep note of any correspondence relating to it, and forward this all on.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    My cover needed confirmation I had registered for JSA. They wouldn't look at it until then. Once I'd done that and sent them proof I didn't need to show anything else.

It varies from company to company.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 November 2016 at 2:31PM
    Options
    Mouthwash wrote: »
    Good morning,

My original plan was to spend some time working on my CV, attending some career assesment courses I have lined up, spending time with my daughter too. I dont want to just throw myself into anther job without using! this time wisely. .I want to consider my options, do I want to continue along the same path or aim for something new (and possibly apply for some courses to build qualifications.......). This may involve applying for roles bur what if I don't find something suitable each month..? My hours were term time due to my kids which narrows down possibilities also

Thanks in advance

Well presumably the terms and conditions of your insurance are that you must be actively seeking work and have evidence to prove it. Rather like JSA?

If so, then if you choose to do anything less than that such as taking time off or doing courses, you would appear to be ineligible to claim.
  • Mouthwash_2
    Options
    Thanks for your comments, I shall call them tomorrow.

Not really a time to 'kick back and watch the world go by' more about not jumping in feet first but hey everyone entitled to an opinion I guess.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure