I'm debt free - my story

My forfeit, as requested.
Just to say to start that I got my credit card bill today and I am not debt free as I thought.
I owe MBNA £1.27. I will pay this online as soon as I write this.

So what were my debts? A couple of credit cards that added up to telephone numbers. Put it this way, they were so bad that I actually never bothered to total them up.
Sorry to those of you with bad morgages but my payments are less than £200 a month so I'm not counting that as a debt. One article, I'm a freelance journalist as well as staff, pays that.
Nope, it was just credit card bills... how does it happen?
A business trip to the States, some one paying my bill - well I'll take the missus, pay for her air ticket on the card. Pay for this and that, while away, on the card. Then Germany, then the states again... it's a "cheap" way to travel, we're only paying half! (think about it, duh)
Heavy week of car use, had to fill up three times, even on motorways, use the card...
Needed a new camera lens... on the card.
I guess you all know the drill by now. Suddenly it's too big to pay off all at once. I pay a big chunk, well over the minimum, so up and up goes the limit.
I was around and earning good money in the 60's. Everyone had more than one credit card - you just did. I popped out whichever was closest to hand at the time, so they all went up.

Now then, I'm sorry if anyone is looking for a ray of light here, a quick fix out of your own problems, but my way out was so simple I'm almost afraid to write about it.

I stopped spending and started banging every bit of spare cash off my cards.
That's it. Sounds easy don't it?
There the simplicity ends...
I sold everything that wasn't fastened down on ebay - made a couple of quid and off the card it went. Sold books on Amazon, off the card. Started some of the click and earn websites, off the card... all of those three I came across via this website. And, of course, they were all transferred to zero per cent cards, another idea from this site.
I'd see a shirt in a charity shop, I wouldn't buy it, I have enough shirts right?
I cut out my fancy coffee four days a week, I started taking my own sandwiches to work, I stopped my little flutter on the horses (only a fiver a time, and sometimes I won, but I stopped it).
I went to the hole in the wall for cash so I knew how much I had in my wallet, how much I was spending and how much I had left. I cut out the little visits to the vending machine in the foyer at work.
When my computer went south I rebuilt it myself (it's a tool of my trade) and I did all my own car repairs.
Six years it took me and now saving money, counting every penny, has become a habit. A good one. I'm not stingy, I stand my round in the pub once a week and I'd bet money (well I wouldn't, actually, but I think you know what I mean!) that none of my workmates, friends or family, even suspected how I've lived for those years.

So now I'm debt free and, if I could pay off £200 a month for the last few months, I reckon I can manage £150 a month into an ISA from now on.
I've found a good one as well. Found it via this site actually.

Comments

• :T Thats great news!

Your right, you have to get your head down and STOP SPENDING!!!

Thats exactly what i have to do!

Your an inspiration and well done!!!

x:T :T :T :T
    Joined September 2006: £18800.00 in debt:eek:
    21/11/06 - £16953.04, :eek:
    DFD - Sept 2009:T proud to be dealing with my debt

:j £2 coin saving club: 21/11/06 £0:j
  • James240
    James240 Posts: 16,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Fantastic news well done one being debt free :beer:
    Savings Total so far for 2023: £8,062.58
  • Jumps
    Jumps Posts: 150 Forumite
    Well done to you. It just shows that all the hard work does pay off. I'm just starting this journey to clear my debts.
    Debt Oct 2006 £42,215.21 at highest. Debt Today £0.00
  • aliyah
    aliyah Posts: 143 Forumite
    it can be done ... i'm very impressed!! _party_
    :A
  • :j well done Frankie :j - thanks for sharing your experience with the people of this board. Shows that it can be done but it does take time, a lot of determination and of course MSE :D
    :cool: Official DFW Nerd Club Member #37 Debt free Feb 07 :cool:
  • Great story - very well done :T :T
  • GSD4ME
    GSD4ME Posts: 116 Forumite
    WELL DONE!!! You are an inspiration. :j

One thing, you could not hint at the actual figure you paid off could you?

My debts, well mine and my husband's actually, are so HUGE I am embarassed to mention the figure on here. :o
  • This is just what I need to motivate me - a success story :D Well done you. :j One day I hope it will be me. Stories like yours remind me why I'm here. Congratulations and good luck with your savings now :cool:
    You - only you- will have stars that can laugh :rotfl:

:starmod: Debt-free:starmod:

£2 Coin Savers' Club - Christmas due on 25/12/06! £[STRIKE]142.00 [/STRIKE][STRIKE]16/07/06 [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£150.00 [/STRIKE][STRIKE]21/07/06[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£158 2/08/06[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£166 28/8/06[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]3/10/06 £198 [/STRIKE]25/10/06 £214 :xmassmile
    DFW Nerd 137:j
    Proud to be dealing with my debt
  • Inspirational!!!! Well done you... enjoy the freedom of it all :T :j :T :j :T :j

Little L
    xx
    Debt 28/12/06 £26,467
    £20 grocery challenge per week
    Savings £400
    £2 coins - £8.00
    DMP £357 pcm (CCCs) commenced 1/10/06
    DFD :think:
    proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Well done you! Bet you are sooooooooo pleased with yourself?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure