Frozen Cod Fillets

Options
Can anyone recommend a good place to buy frozen cod fillets (like 6 small fillets in a bag sort)? Don't want to try them all as often in the past I've found they have a not fresh taste and are a waste. Quality more important than price really.

Thanks.

Comments

• Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    Freeze your own fresh from Morrison's when on offer. You can then choose your own shape or thickness (and trim the ends and keep them separate when they sneak a straggly bit folded underneath).

Start defrosting the night before in the fridge.
  • aardvaak
    aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tesco..............
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They sell them in both Iceland and Farmfoods. It's good tasting cod (same is true of smoked haddock too) but more suitable for fish pie type dishes as the sizes of the pieces vary so much.
  • clarryd
    clarryd Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Iceland have a great deal on at the moment.

Battered cod fillets (has foreign writing on box) £1.50, you have to look for them as not visibly clear, my sister spotted them and told me so I searched and found them also, good size fillets.

Having them tonight for dinner.
  • Grouchy
    Grouchy Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Iceland and Farmfoods are not places I shop, they are quite a hike from where I live anyway. I don't usually shop in Tesco but will give theirs a try if/when I go in for something.

To clarify a bit I was meaning the boneless skinless fillets (without batter or other coating).
  • harveybobbles
    Options
    Aldi have nice ones. Think its a pack of 4 for 3 quid. Nice than Morrisons.

Also, Aldi do similar tuna too, which is just as nice.
  • Grouchy
    Grouchy Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Harvey I will try the Aldi ones first and go from there.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Grouchy wrote: »
    Thanks Harvey I will try the Aldi ones first and go from there.

Morrisons have nice ones. I know its a pack of 4x100g for £3. Nicer than Aldi's, according to my friends mum.

Gemini likes them too, this is what he she said about them
    I got these on the recommendation of my daughter, and have to say they are great. There were 4 nice sized pieces, fed 3 of us but I will probably buy 2 bags next time, however they tasted very nice and considering they were frozen, incredibly fresh. No bones, skin or nasty bits, really pleasantly pleased.
  • bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nada666 wrote: »
    Freeze your own fresh from Morrison's when on offer.
    In shops frozen fish will usually be fresher than the fresh, no-frozen ones.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    bsms1147 wrote: »
    In shops frozen fish will usually be fresher than the fresh, no-frozen ones.

These days we have factory ships aka fish processing vessels, which will turn a fish into fillets within hours of the fish being caught, and will freeze or pack the fillets in ice as required. It may well be a few days, and possibly weeks, before that non-frozen fillet finds its way through the distribution chain to arrive at the fish counter of your local supermarket.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2509010/Supermarket-fresh-fish-THREE-weeks-old.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure